Vogelzang Colonial review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rougement

Oct 20, 2009
Mn, US
I thought I'd post my impressions of this insert after a few days of playing with it. It's my first real experience with wood heat so I've not got much of a frame of reference.

I needed help getting the thing in the house, it's 275 lbs and I'm guessing one of the lighter inserts. Two people can lift it but it isn't easy.

Installation is easy, connect the flue to the liner, plug in the blower and you're away. The blower on full is too noisy, much to noisy. Mine lives in the kitchen so it's not the end of the world but I wouldn't recommend this for a living room.

The firebox is very small. I've not had much luck burning large splits yet and it looks like I'm gonna have to go back and halve most of the bigger ones. It is capable of putting out some serious heat though. Even so, it's still mild here in northern MN. I have my doubts that it's going to completely replace my propane fired radiators but it's sure to pay for itself within a few years.

Overall, I'm not thrilled with the insert but you do get what you pay for - $850 from Northern Tool. If I had a couple of grand to spend I'd do it differently but I don't so I can't. At the end of the day it coverts trees to heat and that's good enough.

Hey, enjoy your stove. It is going to do a fine job for ya. Post a picture or two of it.

If Warm > Cold, then Any Stove > No Stove (prudent install and operation assumed) - enjoy and hope it keeps you warm!

True, it's better than nothing. I thought I'd post because I couldn't find much out on the web about it. I think it's a fairly new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.