Vogelzang Durango Questions:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas123

Apr 12, 2016
Stephenville, TX
I made a mistake and purchased a used Country Comfort non catalytic insert this past March and have determined I lost at least six degrees of heating based on the thermometer on the wall. I like the Vogelzang Durango stove for two reasons: it does have a viewing glass for a little light when the power goes off and it can take up to 26 inch logs. I would like to hear from the users of this stove as to the good and bad of its' use.
The fireplace alcove is 31 inches square and had a depth of around 24 inches. Thank you very much.

How did you loose 6 degrees? What is the install like? what wood were you burning? what were you using before? What are your burning techniques?

Using before was the wonder-wood heating circulator from the late 1990s. The install was into the fireplace with zero clearance as there is no hearth. the connections were two 45 degree connectors from the rectangle flue exit to a previously installed 8 inch stainless steel chimney liner. It was about a foot from the flue exit to the liner.
Wood being burned - is whatever oak or cedar the woodsmen sell here. All was stacked under cover on the back porch and dry but not summertime July level dry.
My burning techniques are to make the initial bed of coals and then place the logs on top in an offset fashion for air circulation. This older unit also smokes some when opened and I now know that more modern inserts have the smoke exits at the back of the firebox.
I think the difference is the Wonderwood was installed out in front of the fireplace alcove and I had a two foot stainless steel connector to the chimney.
Thanks - David

Well I see several issues the new insert should have a 6" liner not an 8 that will make it not preform right then there is the issue of it not being connected to the liner which is a cade violation a safety issue and will really hurt performance.

Then there is the fuel how long was it cut and split? When you covered it did you cover the whole thing or just the top? Did you ever test the moisture content? Newer stoves need stronger draft and dryer fuel than an old style circulator to work to the best of their abilities. I think you are probably lacking in both of those requirements.

It is connected with a stainless steel 6 inch to 8 inch connector as I saw the installation myself - but since the air flow is limited by the air feeds on the side of the insert I do not know how the draft through the insert can be increased. I know this is not the best insert to have, but am still hoping some of the members can give me guidance on their Vogelzang Durango.

It is connected with a stainless steel 6 inch to 8 inch connector as I saw the installation myself - but since the air flow is limited by the air feeds on the side of the insert I do not know how the draft through the insert can be increased. I know this is not the best insert to have, but am still hoping some of the members can give me guidance on their Vogelzang Durango.
Ok I misunderstood you I thought you meant there was a 1' gap between the 6" pipe and the 8" liner. But you still have the problem of the oversized liner which will not create enough velocity to make your insert work right. Yes the air comes in the insert through set openings but it is pulled in by the draft created by the stove and chimney and if the chimney is not sized correctly it will not work right. And honestly the durango will have the same problem. It is not really much of a step up if any from your existing insert. Do you have any answers for the questions about the fuel? In my experience that is usually most if not all of the problem when it comes to stove performance. And if that is an issue a different stove will not improve your situation any at all.

How tall is the 8" liner? If two story it may draft ok. If one story, draft could be weak, especially in milder weather.

How tall is the 8" liner? If two story it may draft ok. If one story, draft could be weak, especially in milder weather.
Answer - The chimney is no more then 20 feet high as it was built in 1963 when codes allowed a terminus of only four or five feet above the V of the roof. Yes, I have noticed the colder it gets outside the better the old Wonderwood vented but I thought that was standard physics.
As for the fuel the wood is drying anywhere from one to two years under the porches away from the rain split wood for the initial firings and then round logs for the longer burning fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.