Vogelzang Durango?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
I want to replace the old (1992) Dutchwest Large I have in my shop. A new Vogelzang Durango is available locally for $750. The obvious alternative is an Englander 30-nch at 899 + tax at Home Depot.

The shop building is 1100 sq. ft. downstairs and 960 upstairs, is extremely well insulated, and the Dutchwest will heat it, if I want to fill it often enough. Shoot, I can heat it with just two 600 watt electric heaters. It is worth the time/effort to keep a fire going maybe 45 days a year.

The old Dutchwest was one of the first cat stoves, and is a nightmare to control, using both a primary air and separate cat air supply. It is sucking air somewhere (not the door or pan gaskets - all replaced), and will need to be disassembled, and it is (past) time for a new cat. After a lot of work and money I will still have a stove with an inconveniently small firebox that is hard to control - I am going to pass.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

There are notable differences. The Durango is a box style stove. We have very little feedback on it and no documented firebox size but judging by the firebrick it looks to be about 2.4 cu ft. The Englander outweighs the Durango by a couple hundred pounds. It has a full glass door, 3+ cu ft capacity and a rocking reputation. I would spend the extra money. There are 10% discount coupons for HD is you look around.

Reactions: John Ackerly
If the building needs that little of heat to get warm why not go for the Englander Madison? Has been spotted under the Summers Heat brand at Lowes for $750. Firebox is 2.4 cu ft.

If the building needs that little of heat to get warm why not go for the Englander Madison? Has been spotted under the Summers Heat brand at Lowes for $750. Firebox is 2.4 cu ft.

Upon further reflection, I really want a larger firebox for burn times. The building has enormous thermal mass (five inch 28'X40' concrete slab over two to four feet of gravel surrounded by a full foundation), and I can live with wide temperature swings - say 50 deg. f. to 75 deg. f. This would allow me to simply skip a day of burning here and there. What I cannot do is be on hand to reload every five or six hours, nor do I want to have to build from scratch twice a day. I do not mind starting from coals, however.

So, 2.75 to 3 plus cu. ft. fire box, epa rated, cat or non cat, 6" flue, appearance is not an issue, almost any clearance to combustibles is ok, front or side loading (either side), and lets say under $1200. Does that suggest anything to anyone? The 30-nch seems likely the best bet to me.

The Englander 30NC or a Drolet Legend or HT2000 are all good contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.