Vogelzang frontiersman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archminer

Sep 13, 2013
So it been in the 40's around here. I have been playing with my wood stove and trying to experiment with it. Ended up taking the grate out and sticking a metal bolt plate in front of one of the air intakes, to help control the burn a lil more. Installed a barometric damper. I'm still not sure what stack temps are supposed to be. Depending on how I burn it, and what kind of wood I load. Once it's hot and I damp it back all I'm running between 250 and 350 degrees about 12 inches up the stack. Is this normal, low, high?

Right now I have 2 bigger pieces of maple slow burning. Manual draft open, still playing with the barometric draft. Stack temp sitting at 250.

Does this all sound good or what?

Don't see a barometric damper in pic. Hope you didn't install one. It will cool the pipe and that is bad.

Don't see a barometric damper in pic. Hope you didn't install one. It will cool the pipe and that is bad.
Ditto on that,wood stoves are designed to operate WITHOUT a flue damper. It will definitely reduce the draft which is usually a BAD thing.

The VG Frontiersman is an EPA exempt 35-1 stove. It has the flue collar damper built in. Usually that is adequate and a barometric damper isn't necessary. Is this an unusually tall flue or are you in a very windy location?

The VG Frontiersman is an EPA exempt 35-1 stove. It has the flue collar damper built in. Usually that is adequate and a barometric damper isn't necessary. Is this an unusually tall flue or are you in a very windy location?

We are in a windy location. We are on top of a hill and it very rare that the wind isn't blowing.

I do have a bd installed. It's hidden by the horizontal pipe. After burning it last night it seemed to be a steadier burn and not as finicky to control with the bd.

The stack temp is low if this is single wall pipe. Creosote starts forming below 250F. Keep a close eye on it and clean frequently. Maybe adjust the BD so that it only opens up with the windiest gusts.

Status
Not open for further replies.