Vogelzang pellet stoves...............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
..............in Tractor Supply Co. I think There was an earlier thread on this. They are somewhat cosmetically attractive and have a current up to date look about them , unlike the low end ones from Englanders. and maybe other makers .

They start at $899 (no ash drawer) to $1299 for the deluxe , seemingly priced right. Obviously they are Chinese and the quality itself always has to be suspect but the folks who tend to buy dept store pellet stoves at TSC or Home Depot are not usually likely to care . It`s all about price or perceived value .
However if they prove to be a decent stove after all, they could cut into low end stove market which might be the bread and butter for some north American stove makers.
The message I get from this is that Englander and others sorely need to cosmetically redesign their low end models. Anyone think I`m wrong?

..............in Tractor Supply Co. I think There was an earlier thread on this. They are somewhat cosmetically attractive and have a current up to date look about them , unlike the low end ones from Englanders. and maybe other makers .

They start at $899 (no ash drawer) to $1299 for the deluxe , seemingly priced right. Obviously they are Chinese and the quality itself always has to be suspect but the folks who tend to buy dept store pellet stoves at TSC or Home Depot are not usually likely to care . It`s all about price or perceived value .
However if they prove to be a decent stove after all, they could cut into low end stove market which might be the bread and butter for some north American stove makers.
The message I get from this is that Englander and others sorely need to cosmetically redesign their low end models. Anyone think I`m wrong?

Look on the rear tag and you will see USSC. US Stove is the parent company and their reviews haven't been all that great. Vogelzang seems to be an attempt at a fresh start. I too checked them out and at first glance they seemed to be put together pretty well. I guess we'll have to wait?

Never buy a stove based on looks...

I just bought a vogelzang 5790 , 65,000
Btu , let you know how it pans out , I'm making a custom air tight manifold for it now, then will plumb
It in next week ...heard good reviews , no ash box , really weird setup,
Seems like its going to be easy to cleans...

Vogelzang was started in 1974 by Steve Vogelzang in Holland MI. USSC bought VZ around 5 years ago. EDIT: That line was made in China when USSC bought out VZ and it still is.

Last edited:
attachments didn't work...
So how's it heating?

Awesome, I had to customize the burn pot,because the pellets were missing the Burn pot and collecting behind the door in the bottom of the stove so when you shut it off it was smolderingThe unburned pellets on fire so I had to customize the burn pot and call the company and see if they want the pics
To rectify the problem,constant 70 on low , never even cranked it yet..

Reactions: Owen1508
I bought one last week at TSC and installed it 2 days ago ....no problem getting it started and getting it going like "sweets" said the thing is a beast on low. That seems to be my problem right now, I can't keep the temp below 75F...no matter what I do. It has thermostat and manual settings, on thermo it defaults to the last manual setting when it is not calling for heat, but even on the lowest manual setting with the T-stat set to 68F it keeps climbing....I have a Enviro Empress at my other home in Mass and I have just the opposite problem of not getting hot enough.

I wonder if the Vogelzang comes with a bag of rice? You can burn rice you know?

Don't knock my 6039HF it has more varibles built into the board than any unit out there and it's easy to clean and don't make 'bisquits' either.

Im burning stove chow , it getting so hot
Its turning the soot silver, still maintaining 70 + in my house on low, i love this stove , clean it once a week every sun , mints

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Actually, it turns white and gets powdery. Cleans off the glass easier that way. I use a scotchbrite pad and some Windex and all is good (on a cold stove if course....).

No the soot is silver , the glass is white ash, i use a spray bottle with just water,
I thought if i used a cleaner , with the heat , the chemical would leave smears on the glass , idk , water works awesomes.....

cheapest way to scour soot and ash off the glass - damp paper towel, dip in wood ash, wipe. best to have some of the paper towel still dry so you can buff it clean.
(well, this applies to woodstoves at least, I assume it'd be the same deal on pellet stoves)

It is but be apprised that using water or any liquid cleaner (windex) on a tempered glass viewing window thats hot at room temperature is inviting thermal cracking and/or failure. I never clean the window unless the stove is cold. .....Don't ask how I know.....:)

It is but be apprised that using water or any liquid cleaner (windex) on a tempered glass viewing window thats hot at room temperature is inviting thermal cracking and/or failure. I never clean the window unless the stove is cold. .....Don't ask how I know.....:)

No the soot is silver , the glass is white ash, i use a spray bottle with just water,
I thought if i used a cleaner , with the heat , the chemical would leave smears on the glass , idk , water works awesomes.....

In this instance, White is definitely right'......Thats complete combustion, just what you want. Black might be beautiful, but not in a stove thats making heat.

ah good point, I know in the past I have used a crumpled wad of aluminum foil to scrub the glass (wearing gloves), then a paper towel to quickly buff it (assuming it's not TOO hot)
I don't think aluminum foil is hard enough to scratch glass (it didn't in my case), but obviously try it on the corner to see...

I always use a scraper when the glass is hot. You could probably really dig in and scratch the crap out of the glass if you weren't careful, but it only requires a light touch.
I had never realized Vogelzang was a Michigan based company. I guess I've only seen their older wood stove. I always thought they had a cheapy cast iron from Taiwan look to them...

Awesome, I had to customize the burn pot,because the pellets were missing the Burn pot and collecting behind the door in the bottom of the stove so when you shut it off it was smolderingThe unburned pellets on fire so I had to customize the burn pot and call the company and see if they want the pics
To rectify the problem,constant 70 on low , never even cranked it yet..

Was this modification on the VG5790?

Hi
I just bought a vogelzang 5790 like the stove only thing is when on 3 or 4 I'm getting a hot smell like a hair dryer not sure why ,I'v put 3 bags of pellets thought the stove was thinking just new smell but not sure now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.