Vogelzang stove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatboy911

Jan 10, 2011
Western, CO
in doing some research i found some small inexpensive Vogelzang stoves. Specifically a 'Lit'l Sweetie' model. on the installation instructions is says that it can't be installed in a mobile home, or even a manufactured home. anybody know the reasoning behind this?

thanks so much
Gnatboy911

I believe because in a mobile home or manuf. home installation, the air tightness of the structure requires outside air for combustion in the stove and must not draw room air; most inexpensive stoves do not have outside air capability. Close heat tolerances (heat shields) is also required; again, found in better units.

Bigbluebus is correct. It must have an OAK. It also is supposed to be bolted down onto the floor and the heat tolerances are not too friendly.

One more problem which is rarely touched upon is the height of the chimney. We see it over and over where the folks install one and the chimney is only a couple feet above the roof line. This must give them a total chimney length of less than 10' which is not much at all.

Another thing is I think they are required to have a screen on the chimney cap and that can cause extra problems because they plug up really fast.

Stove manufacturers in the US must state whether or not a stove is certified for use in a mobile or manufactured home. If it is not certified for such an installation, don't do it...you place lives at risk.

Backwoods Savage said:
It also is supposed to be bolted down onto the floor

That must be why only the pedestal models are qualified for moblile homes. I always wonderd about that. Guess it makes sense.

Backwoods Savage said:
Bigbluebus is correct. It must have an OAK. It also is supposed to be bolted down onto the floor and the heat tolerances are not too friendly.

One more problem which is rarely touched upon is the height of the chimney. We see it over and over where the folks install one and the chimney is only a couple feet above the roof line. This must give them a total chimney length of less than 10' which is not much at all.

Another thing is I think they are required to have a screen on the chimney cap and that can cause extra problems because they plug up really fast.

In my state (and several others that I know), gas and electric freestanding stoves have to be secured to the floor or wall as well; and that applies to all houses, not just mobile homes. So I can see why wood stoves would also need to be bolted down.

There are all sorts of stoves out there and many different heating needs. Best to start by describing what the goal is here and what is the task at hand. Are you looking for some general warmth and an occasional fire or some real heat and 24/7 burning? How large a space are you looking to heat?

BeGreen, pretty much just looking to add some additional warmth to the house. Not looking to use it as a sole method of heating. The house is a 1800 square foot ranch style house, i would locate the stove centrally. The living room is in the center of the house, and thats where i would locate the stove. This is my first winter in the house, and I have a forced air, gas furnace. The gas bill is pretty high, i'm just hoping to cut down on the gas bill a little.

Great, that helps a lot. I'd be looking at stoves in the 2-3 cu ft size that are mobile approved. The difference being the smaller firebox will need more frequent refills and may not keep the place heated on very cold days without help from the primary heating system. The best budget stoves in this range are made by Englander, Napoleon and Drolet. But there is a new 2 cu ft. entry from Pacific Energy, the True North, that might also fit here. Napoleon's budget line is called Timberwolf.

If you check out the local Lowes and Home Depots you will find they are clearing out inventory right now. If they have any stoves left, a good deal may be had.

Good deal, thanks BeGreen. I've also got an old Fisher Wood stove that is in need of restoration. i'm not sure how long this will take me, so thats why i was looking into other inexpensive stoves to get me through for a while. Then, my father said that he would take the new stove for his shop after i get my Fisher stove restored. I've posted a question in this forum about size of chimney pipe.

thanks for your input.

gnatboy911

Status
Not open for further replies.