Vogelzang stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwo2

Jan 18, 2006
Does anyone have any experience with the Volelzang brand of wood stoves? To be specific the BX26E or the BX42E. They are cheap stoves that look nice however I would like additional information / personal experiences before moving forward.

jwo2 said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Volelzang brand of wood stoves? To be specific the BX26E or the BX42E. They are cheap stoves that look nice however I would like additional information / personal experiences before moving forward.

I am going to wait until everybody gets through dumping on the little non-UL approved, non-EPA approved stoves to comment.

Not gonna dump, or whine. Most times you get what you pay for. And it all depends on how you want to use it, and what you expect to get out of it.
Let that dictate your choice, not the price. In other words, decide what you want out of a stove, and then ask for an opinion on what stove's might fit that purpose.

Willhound

Leaky Leaky Leaky...non UL approved, non listed.....Im sure your insurance company will love them. You get what you pay for ...Caveat Emptor

jwo2 said:

They are now making some EPA approved stoves...see:
http://www.vogelzang.com/tr001.htm

Also, I have seen some of their exempt box stoves and they are not bad....for what they are.....

The ones I saw were UL approved and EPA exempt. Such a stove might be fine for a home studio space, etc. - it will heat quickly and is surely better (tighter, better door fit) than the early models of these box stoves...which were made by Atlanta Stove Works and similar foundries.

So, it is a matter of what you need. For a cold climate and heavy use stove, you should get an EPA approved one that burns clean and has other advantages such as closer clearances to combustibles.

Primer for your stove

Make sure all you important papers are in a lock box at your local bank. Including your deed and insurance policies. And also your will

You might want to time the response time for your fire dept to make it to your home.

Check the batteries of your smoke detectors and get a few carbon monoxide sensors. And while at it don’t forget the extinguishers.

Plan ahead, if one of your relatives lives near you might want to keep a few clothes changes there.

By all means have a planned escape route.

Don’t worry about your homeowners policy, It will probably be useless. Insurance companies are not too thrilled about paying out losses due to an un permitted unlisted stove. That probably voided your policy anyways.

Should you try to obtain a permit, be prepared to be denied, Stoves have to be listed and UL approved. In that case save your receipt.

Should you decide to install it anyways be prepared for that first runaway fire. When it gets going and the door leaks so much air that you no longer control the burn. Things get hot, Cherry red-hot
Do not spray water on it. Once the water hits it will blow apart. You would be better calling the fire dept.

This heating season I have refused 3 permits for these stoves. One that the homeowner installed on his own, had a lot of big red trucks visit him one night. They were able to save the main house but the three-season room was totaled.

Fire death boxes is what I call them (Disclaimer I am only speaking about the Unlisted cheap common box stove, not the listed UL and Epa approved models)

elkimmeg said:
P
Should you try to obtain a permit, be prepared to be denied, Stoves have to be listed and UL approved. In that case save your receipt.
Fire death boxes is what I call them

A number of the stoves listed on the site now are UL tested and others are EPA approved.

Yes, ELK is correct that you don't want to be installing the NON-UL Approved ones in your home.....I would not go as far as ELK in stating the danger of the stoves.....the danger is MORE in the operation and installation.

But maybe that's because I used many of these box stoves as my only source of heat in cabins and tents when I was in my "homesteading" phase. Of course, I had no insurance...then again, my house was probably only worth about $500.

Those box heaters did well in the army tents with the rubber gromets out the top (even see them in MASH?) - Again, no smoke detectors needed.....since we could evacuate just by ducking out the tent!

So, yes, looks like Vogels is getting the picture and starting to move to EPA and UL stoves that are safer and more efficient. You should also.

Thanks for everyones responses as I appreciate the input. I am looking to install this or another small stove in a barn that would be used only from time to time.

Is the stove to keep you warm while out there or is it to take the chill off for animals? The problem with the stoves listed is they shouldn't be ran in an occupied dwelling which in this case the barn is ok but I don't know if I would trust this stove by itself. There are a lot of combustibles in a barn. I guess I just don't like the idea of a wood stove in a barn unattended.

jwo2,

Please, if you have not bought one yet, look on the internet or a swap sheet and get a used approved stove. Jotul 602 will do you fine. not too pretty but a good stove, plenty supply and approved too.

It will save you lots of trouble, potential dangers and the like. Plus you can always sell your stove later and get all your money back.

Carpniels

Status
Not open for further replies.