Vogelzang The Colonial

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags said:
Corriewf said:
BrotherBart said:
The only people I have seen here that bad mouth Vogelzang stoves, don't own Vogelzang stoves.

So just about everyone? ahaha! BB you seen the Vogelzang drum stove kits? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjYPqqBuDEI&feature=PlayList&p=5BD8EC27F2C56F72&index=2

Heck, I'll bet ya a 6 pack of Dog Fish Head beer that he owns one of them kits.

There is a brand new kit sitting on the shelf in my garage. My last barrel stove was a double decker. Took it to the dump years ago. It did duty for a long time in the basement then I added the top barrel with racks in it and doors on each end and made a smoker out of it. You could put half a hog in that sucker.

BrotherBart said:
Jags said:
Corriewf said:
BrotherBart said:
The only people I have seen here that bad mouth Vogelzang stoves, don't own Vogelzang stoves.

So just about everyone? ahaha! BB you seen the Vogelzang drum stove kits? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjYPqqBuDEI&feature=PlayList&p=5BD8EC27F2C56F72&index=2

There is a brand new kit sitting on the shelf in my garage. My last barrel stove was a double decker. Took it to the dump years ago. It did duty for a long time in the basement then I added the top barrel with racks in it and doors on each end and made a smoker out of it. You could put half a hog in that sucker.

Maaannnn - you didn't give him time to take the bait. I was already tasting that beer. Crap - going home to a Miller Lite.

BrotherBart said:
Jags said:
Corriewf said:
BrotherBart said:

How was the kit? I bet those barrels put off crazy amounts of heat. You ever catch a vid of it in action?

Guys another question since I am new to this. You see how I have the thermometer in the top right of the stove. Do you think that is the best place to have it? I have not a clue where to put to tell the most accurate temp of the stove.... On inserts I guess it is harder to pin point a good location. Thanks for your help and advice.

Being the first proud poster with this stove, you will have to tell us. Try the other corner for a few days for a comparison. It's all relative.

BeGreen said:
Being the first proud poster with this stove, you will have to tell us. Try the other corner for a few days for a comparison. It's all relative.

Damn buddy, I dont know. Ahahaha! I did try putting it close to the SS entry and got the same temp as where it is now. I guess there is no better spot that I know of.

Here is a video of the secondaries kicking in a few minutes ago. Ignore the new Super Mario Brothers going on in the back ground. Mrs and me love that new Mario Brothers, but I get mad and let her take over. Video games seemed a lot easier in the late 80s early 90s.

Corriewf said:
How was the kit? I bet those barrels put off crazy amounts of heat. You ever catch a vid of it in action?

The kit was fine for its purpose. In those days videos involved large clunky boxes with a Beta tape inside. Never owned one. In fact I don't have a camera in my cell phone these days either.

BrotherBart said:
Corriewf said:

The kit was fine for its purpose. In those days videos involved large clunky boxes with a Beta tape inside. Never owned one. In fact I don't have a camera in my cell phone these days either.

Yeah, I used to be like that. I worked for the cell phone company back in 2000 and refused to even get a highly discounted cellphone. Ended up getting one back in 2006 when I got married and now with a 2 year old, I'm taking videos all the time. I use an iphone for my pics and vids.

Corriewf said:
BeGreen said:

Damn buddy, I dont know. Ahahaha! I did try putting it close to the SS entry and got the same temp as where it is now. I guess there is no better spot that I know of.

Here is a video of the secondaries kicking in a few minutes ago. Ignore the new Super Mario Brothers going on in the back ground. Mrs and me love that new Mario Brothers, but I get mad and let her take over. Video games seemed a lot easier in the late 80s early 90s.

Very nice mesmerizing fire that stove puts out Corrie! Do you know if that stove is made in the USA and what sort of warranty does it some with?

Ray

raybonz said:
Corriewf said:
BeGreen said:

Very nice mesmerizing fire that stove puts out Corrie! Do you know if that stove is made in the USA and what sort of warranty does it some with?

Ray

Comes with Manufacturer Warranty: 12 months limited parts / No labor. It is made in China, however it is a American company based out of Michigan. I have read some solid reviews on their customer service being pretty good. Have yet to find out myself. The stove imo is a steal at 899 via Northern Tool. I have read that they might go on sale in a couple months and be 150 off. The Vogelzang site list them at 1299.

Here's what I found about Vogelzang from their site:

The Vogelzang organization is committed to offer ONLY the finest selection of Wood and Coal Stoves, Accessories, and related Hearth Products in today's marketplace.

This company has a history of integrity dating back to 1907 when our Dutch ancestors settled in Holland, Michigan.

Our company motto is: "Our Customers Come First!"

Our Testimony as a Company:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life"
John 3:16

I kind of like a company that doesnt shy away from the lord. Hope it isn't just marketing though.

Jags said:
Corriewf said:
BrotherBart said:

I love Dog Fish Head Ale. Had it at the Brickskeller in DC last time I was back that way.

"Our Testimony as a Company:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life"
John 3:16 [/quote]

I kind of like a company that doesnt shy away from the lord. Hope it isn't just marketing though.[/quote]"

Funny, their religious stuff nearly stopped me buying my colonial.

I don't know anything about the Vogelzang, but it looks and performs identical to my avalon pendleton.
I purchased it used this spring and started using this Oct. Everything you have said about the performance of the Vogelzang is exactly what mine does. And from what I can see in the pics it looks like the same stove.

Never-mind, just got a look at it on their web site. But they perform the same.

Rougement said:

I kind of like a company that doesnt shy away from the lord. Hope it isn't just marketing though.[/quote]"

Funny, their religious stuff nearly stopped me buying my colonial.[/quote]

Well to each their own. How do you like the stove thus far? Where do you keep your thermometer? How do you run yours to get it up to 400+ if you dont mind me asking?

burn it said:
I don't know anything about the Vogelzang, but it looks and performs identical to my avalon pendleton.
I purchased it used this spring and started using this Oct. Everything you have said about the performance of the Vogelzang is exactly what mine does. And from what I can see in the pics it looks like the same stove.

Hey man, I would love to see some pics of yours in action. How much do the avalon's run ($$)?

Corriewf said:
You surer that Defender is smaller? Looks to be about the same size firebox to me. How many pieces of decent splits can you get in her? Thanks for the link. Those flames sure are memorizing. :)

When I read your first post, I didn't know that your 1.7 was your own measurement. As it turns out, they are the same size firebox. I don't think I've ever counted how many splits I can get in there, but on occasion I have packed it right up back to front to the tubes on top. This past weekend, I put my last load in at about 2am, Just added 3 medium sized splits, cut it back once the wood was caught, then back to the air all the way closed about 15 minutes after that. At about 1230pm the next day, there were enough coals left to just throw a split on and get it going again.

It's like anything, Chevy vs ford vs dodge or Polaris vs Kawasaki or arctic cat. Yes there is some junk out there but these companys dont stay long unlees they are doing something right. I love my new stove and it has done what I have hoped for. Would recommend it to any one and guess what only paid $899 from northern tool. Have money left over for other toys.

Corriewf said:
Rougement said:

I kind of like a company that doesnt shy away from the lord. Hope it isn't just marketing though.
"

Funny, their religious stuff nearly stopped me buying my colonial.[/quote]

Well to each their own. How do you like the stove thus far? Where do you keep your thermometer? How do you run yours to get it up to 400+ if you dont mind me asking?[/quote]

I keep the thermometer (magnetic condor) on the upper left, alongside the secondary air housing.

I'm not totally in love with the stove but the wood I have is less than optimal. I guess all EPA stove will be picky about wood but I'm still learning. I can get it up to 400 but very rarely over that, it seems to be more luck than science at this point but with dryer wood and more experience I'll get there.

I'm more concious of what I'm doing wrong than right to keep the temps up:

don't block the lower air intake (tough as when the fire burns down splits tend to roll from the back and cover it. I cut all my wood to 18" or so for an east/west fire but now I'm thinking this stove might handle shorter splits placed north/south better.

I've re-split much of my firewood. This stove isn't big enough to accomodate a big split or two and the smaller ones around it for an overnight burn. Because of the smaller splits I'm reloading often. The next stove will have a much bigger firebox.

I'm also wary that I'm alway hitting the air tubes when I reload because of the tiny firebox. I hope they can take the abuse.

I was also wary of the wooden door handle when I first saw it. Now it's starting to brown where the metal enters it. I'll see what Vogelzang have to say about it.

Still, for the money it's ok. I think I'll have recouped the money after one winter's burning by not using propane. Plus, when it comes to shopping for the next stove I now know what I'm looking for - bigger firebox and quieter blower for a start.

Adam_MA said:
Corriewf said:
You surer that Defender is smaller? Looks to be about the same size firebox to me. How many pieces of decent splits can you get in her? Thanks for the link. Those flames sure are memorizing. :)

When I read your first post, I didn't know that your 1.7 was your own measurement. As it turns out, they are the same size firebox. I don't think I've ever counted how many splits I can get in there, but on occasion I have packed it right up back to front to the tubes on top. This past weekend, I put my last load in at about 2am, Just added 3 medium sized splits, cut it back once the wood was caught, then back to the air all the way closed about 15 minutes after that. At about 1230pm the next day, there were enough coals left to just throw a split on and get it going again.

Yeah, I have had coals after 16 hours that surprised me. Tried to shut it down to get the ash cleared out and glass cleaned and couldn't do it due to coals. I do seem to have a problem with the coals not burning off fast enough. You have that problem?

piney said:
It's like anything, Chevy vs ford vs dodge or Polaris vs Kawasaki or arctic cat. Yes there is some junk out there but these companys dont stay long unlees they are doing something right. I love my new stove and it has done what I have hoped for. Would recommend it to any one and guess what only paid $899 from northern tool. Have money left over for other toys.

Heck yeah. I won't lie, I wanted the hearthstone clydesdale, but the local dealer wanted almost 5k for the stove, pipe, and install. I just don't have that kind of cash. It works for 899. :) I am happy to have any epa approved stove for that price.

Rougement said:
Corriewf said:
author="Rougement" date="1260076746"]"Our Testimony as a Company:

"

Well to each their own. How do you like the stove thus far? Where do you keep your thermometer? How do you run yours to get it up to 400+ if you dont mind me asking?[/quote]
I keep the thermometer (magnetic condor) on the upper left, alongside the secondary air housing.

I'm not totally in love with the stove but the wood I have is less than optimal. I guess all EPA stove will be picky about wood but I'm still learning. I can get it up to 400 but very rarely over that, it seems to be more luck than science at this point but with dryer wood and more experience I'll get there.

don't block the lower air intake (tough as when the fire burns down splits tend to roll from the back and cover it. I cut all my wood to 18" or so for an east/west fire but now I'm thinking this stove might handle shorter splits placed north/south better.

I've re-split much of my firewood. This stove isn't big enough to accomodate a big split or two and the smaller ones around it for an overnight burn. Because of the smaller splits I'm reloading often. The next stove will have a much bigger firebox.

I'm also wary that I'm alway hitting the air tubes when I reload because of the tiny firebox. I hope they can take the abuse.

I was also wary of the wooden door handle when I first saw it. Now it's starting to brown where the metal enters it. I'll see what Vogelzang have to say about it.

Still, for the money it's ok. I think I'll have recouped the money after one winter's burning by not using propane. Plus, when it comes to shopping for the next stove I now know what I'm looking for - bigger firebox and quieter blower for a start.

I have the same problem with temps. I think there is not a very accurate place to put the thermometer as I believe the temp is much higher than my readings. It take 400+ to get some good secondaries going and I do get them going. I often read between 325-350. I was somehow able to get it up to 400+ on the gauge last night, but I don't know how. I can say I don't notice much of a difference when the primary air is blocked by ash and such. I just try and keep it clean since the firebox is small. I found it better for a good even burn to split most of my wood to about a 1/2 to 1/3 of a normal size split and try to cross them in the firebox. It is funny to hear you worry about the air tubes as that has been a constant bother for me. I am also pretty worried about the boards up there as well. Must say though, they look like they would be easy to replace if need be, and I don't think they will be very expensive. Did you try taking your blower off? I took mine off the unit and pull it about a half inch from the stove. The unit itself just rest on the floor. I get at least double the airflow doing that. Not too sure about the noise of the blower compared to others, but the Mrs wasn't too happy about it at first.

Well the good thing is like you said, for 899 it's a good stove to save some money for a few years and learn the ways of a woodstove. Maybe in a few years with all the money we saved, we can afford something bigger. The good thing about these fireboxes is at least we are not using too much wood. :)

Ok for those fellow Vogelzang owners. Tonight I came across a pretty big round chunk that was quite short, so I split it and tried a north to south fire. The results imo were a faster heat up time for the stove. My chainsaw is down and out but I think it is worth cutting some pieces to do north to south fires. I took a quick video to show the results after about 30 minutes. The secondaries were already kicking in with about 15 minutes. This is a the fastest I have got the stove up since I have been running it.

So if you have not tried north to south, give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Corriewf said:
Yeah, I have had coals after 16 hours that surprised me. Tried to shut it down to get the ash cleared out and glass cleaned and couldn't do it due to coals. I do seem to have a problem with the coals not burning off fast enough. You have that problem?

Generally I don't. What I do, is when the logs have burned down and have started to break up, I open the air back to full, open the door, and use a fire poker to break up the big chunks. I then spread them evenly through the firebox, and leave the door open just a crack for a little while. This makes them burn down pretty fast. Then I just simply load the stove back up on top of the remaining coals, leave the door open a crack until I see something has caught good, close the door, and once the fire is going good I just start working the air closed until I get the fire I want.

Corriewf said:
Rougement said:
Corriewf said:
author="Rougement" date="1260076746"]"Our Testimony as a Company:

"

Well to each their own. How do you like the stove thus far? Where do you keep your thermometer? How do you run yours to get it up to 400+ if you dont mind me asking?

I have the same problem with temps. I think there is not a very accurate place to put the thermometer as I believe the temp is much higher than my readings. It take 400+ to get some good secondaries going and I do get them going. I often read between 325-350. I was somehow able to get it up to 400+ on the gauge last night, but I don't know how. I can say I don't notice much of a difference when the primary air is blocked by ash and such. I just try and keep it clean since the firebox is small. I found it better for a good even burn to split most of my wood to about a 1/2 to 1/3 of a normal size split and try to cross them in the firebox. It is funny to hear you worry about the air tubes as that has been a constant bother for me. I am also pretty worried about the boards up there as well. Must say though, they look like they would be easy to replace if need be, and I don't think they will be very expensive. Did you try taking your blower off? I took mine off the unit and pull it about a half inch from the stove. The unit itself just rest on the floor. I get at least double the airflow doing that. Not too sure about the noise of the blower compared to others, but the Mrs wasn't too happy about it at first.

Well the good thing is like you said, for 899 it's a good stove to save some money for a few years and learn the ways of a woodstove. Maybe in a few years with all the money we saved, we can afford something bigger. The good thing about these fireboxes is at least we are not using too much wood. :)[/quote]

what's your reasoning behind taking the blower off? Does it suck air in from all around the blower too as well as through the unit itself? Have you experimented with distances to find the best position? I'm not doubting it works but mine is installed in a wall about 3' off the ground so I'll have to do some work to get the blower away from the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.