Vogelzang wood stoves anyone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jclout

Oct 15, 2007
Southbridge, Massachusetts
I am looking at a few new EPA stoves as suggested because all the stoves I currentley have are smoke dragons, and since the carbon monoxide alarms went off-see "Carbon Monoxide Problem" topic by me. Does anyone know anything about the Vogelzang wood stoves offered in the Northern Tool catalog. The models I am interested in are the Durango, Frontiersman and Defender. The prices seem good and at least 2 out of 3 are EPA certified. I would appreciate any help. The stoves do not have ash pans as far as I can tell. How long can you burn before you have to let it go out so you can empty the ashes?, does anyone have a problem with that. I would like to see the fire and have it air tight.

Stove nut John

I don't think any forum members has any of these stove models to critique .

In the price value range, 3 manufactures also should be considered first

Englander Century and Drolet

From what I can tell, for the same price the Englander or Drolet stoves offer better construction and value. The VG stoves seem pretty light gauge. Perhaps they work ok, but I doubt they'll last as long.

Factor in Englander's great support and they come out on top for me.

Budman got to admit I did not loose my cool this time I did not want to tell him they were cheap Chinese pieces of chit.

Look at the warranties...Drolet offers a lifetime warranty on their fireboxes...they have been in business for over 100 years.

I purchased the Drolet Miriad from Northern Tool and use at my camp. I have only burned it a couple of weekends so far, but I like it. It's also a great value and it comes with a blower. It also has a bypass damper for quick starts and smoke free loading, it is quite heavy too. For a steel stove I give it 2 thumbs up.

I was at Harbor Freight this weekend and saw onf the Volg. stoves....whew...that is a scary piece of equipment. I cant imagine ANYONE burning one of those stoves, anywhere, let alon in your home! Really freaked me out how thin the casting is and how cheap the metal looked.

I bought a Drolet Eco 45 just before Christmas and had it installed. It ran perfectly for about 10 days. All of a sudden, it would go out, with a variety of error messages and a need to reset the sensor behind the baffle. I called my suppliers the next day, but just after I called, the stove seemed to reset itself and behave. It was fine again up until Jan 9th, when it started to act up again. It would start up, ignite, then run on one blower, then stop with an “E” messge. After 2 days of trying to reset it, I called Drolet, and the tech guy said in a heavy french accent “ah, I know what that is. I am sending you a replacement for the L160 sensor.” Well, 4 days later, no part. You would think that in the middle of winter, they would courier a part out. I called again, and a different rep, very short on customer service abilities, bluntly informed me that they had none of those parts, and they were back ordered to the end of this week (18th.) We would receive it “sometime next week.” I asked him why they had no stock of this part. He had no reason, then informed me that this is a heavy duty stove, and these parts can break down. Sometimes the sensors last a short while, and if I was lucky, I might find one that lasts 10 years.
What the heck????? I outlay a great deal of money for a piece of equpment to be told that there is a reliability question, and that this could be a frequent occurrence?
We called the area rep, Domic, for this area. We told him that there is no secondary heating in the house,trying to expecite matters.He assured us he would look into it, and call us back the very next morning. No call. As far as he knows, we froze to death in last nights -27. End of problem, I guess.

At this point, we have reverted to our oil heating at a dollar per litre, after having outlayed all our winter fuel budget on the Drolet,installation and pellets.
We can so far see what is apperently a poorly designed stove, poorly backed up by poorly trained people, and future winters of wondering whether our stove will quit at any time, leaving us in the lurch.

here is Drolet’s mission statement

Drolet - Our mission is to be a manufacturer that relies on the creativity of its employees to design, produce at the lowest possible cost and market high quality products that respect the environment and meet the needs of consumers in the solid and fossil fuel heating market, within niches that will enable our organization to achieve its socio-economic objectives.

Our principal objectives are:

1) To maintain a competent management team that respects all employees and provides them with a quality of working environment and level of job stability that enable the company to excel as a result of their creativity and skill;

2) To preserve a leading position in our target market niches, mainly by fostering sustained investment in research and development and retaining a high level of commercial ethic;

3) To sustain or improve the level of productivity with an approach of lean enterprise;

4) To preserve a good financial position and procure our stockholders with a fair return on their investment. The manufacturing sector is extremely demanding and the company should be capable of self-generating sufficient funds to pursue its mission despite significant variations in business cycles

Not a single mention of striving for customer service. Just a need to build cheap,sell high and maximise profit for the shareholders.

Potential stove purchasers-steer clear of Drolet

steer clear of drolet. I hear that. I company that don't support its product isn't worth spit.

Those looking for a new stove try www.englanderstoves.com
Quality Made in monroe, virginia by a family owned & opperated company that cares about their customers after the sale with prices competitive with the so called econimy stoves.

Is this a pellet stove?

This is for Bazil: Did Drolet ever do anything for you? Did they really not take care of your problem? You don't talk about your installer or the dealer that sold you the product, were they not of any help?

Hi geek, Drolet really ended up coming to the ballpark, but it two weeks to get the part as they themselves were waiting for a shipment from their suppliers. Although they were powerless to help their initial response seemed very dissinterested. After talking to different staff on different days there was no consistency in their explanations, and we quickly became frustrated as we had a 2 week old stove and during a cold snap it broke down. We bought it from a lumber store who have no technical representation but nevertheless tried to help as best they could. After 2 weeks the part arrived and now the stove runs perfectly. Our initial letter to the forum was perhaps a litttle knee-jerk, but with -30c outside, a little understandable. There has been subsequent follow up from Drolet ensuring we had received our sensor and that the stove was okay now. I also feel that Drolet did end up giving us very good customer service and we love our stove, it throws out more heat than we ever imagined and we consider it to be one of the best investments we have made in renovating our newest home. Lets hope it stays that way.

I have looked at the Vogelzang stoves and I am not impressed with them to say the least. I have also looked at the Englander stoves and they look real good in fact I was going to buy an Englander, but nobody had one local so I bought a Pacific Energy Summit. I have burned wood in almost every thing their is to burn wood in and just my $0.02 I would take a barrel stove over anything Vogelzang has to offer. Also I have found a direct correlation to the price of the stove and the quality the only one I have actually seen that kind of bucks this trend is the Englander stoves. If you want to get an Idea of how good the materials were that went in to it look at the weights of the stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.