Volume Change Unsplit to Split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
I measured the front surface area of a small pile of firewood both before and after I split it. The picture shows the wood after being split.

The area before splitting was 11.67 Sq Ft.

The area after splitting was 11.19 Sq Ft.

Attachments

• VolumeTest.jpg
    VolumeTest.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 341
WarmGuy said:
I measured the front surface area of a small pile of firewood both before and after I split it. The picture shows the wood after being split.

The area before splitting was 11.67 Sq Ft.

The area after splitting was 11.19 Sq Ft.

Splitting and restacking can reduce the voids, or spaces between the wood. If you tight stack like you did, it will be smaller. If it's green wood, you need air to circulate to speed the drying. In that case, you want to loose stack.

Yeah I'm with rich. Splitting wood simply allows you to have less air voids in a given volume of stacked wood. Are ya feeling adventurous enough to measure the change in surface area of the split versus unsplit logs :)

I read that a cord is 128 cubic feet of wood when tightly stacked but if cut and split wood is just piled in a truck you need 175 cubic feet to get the same amount (or 160 cubic feet if it's cut but not split).

Status
Not open for further replies.