Volume of a stove: is it including airspace above firebricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hi guys

Quick question: when everyone mentions the volume of their stove, are we talking about the volume at the firebrick level only or the entire air space inside the combustion chamber?

Also, most stove manuals say not to load the stove higher than the firebricks, does everyone heed this warning? Is it safe to load the wood above the firebrick line?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

They seem to all include every last cubic inch whether it is effectively usable or not.

The manufactures published spec tend to be a bit optimistic, My Regency is claimed to be a 1.4 cf fire box, when I measured it was more like 1.1 cf.

I think most here would say to leave perhaps an inch of air space between baffle and splits for airflow. Manufacturers seem to think you can use every nook and cranny in the stovebox, including space behind firebrick, but I've not found that to be realistic. :coolsmile:
This is something I've taken into my own hands, and started measuring the firebox of any stove I come across.
If the manual says to only load no higher than firebrick, that's the measurement I would use.

BB posted a link explaining it all a while back, I'm sure he'll post up when he see's think thread.

Edit: did a quick search and found it here. Calculating Firebox Volume

Thanks guys

Thanks for the link to the other post. I had not seen it! Wow. Pretty complex measurements ;)

SO what about loading higher than the firebricks? Is it dangerous for the stove?

A

I wouldn't worry about loading up to the baffle because as soon as the load gets going it shrinks down and gives you that air gap you need. Just be careful not to cram it in there and damage the baffle, some baffles are pretty fragile.

Todd said:
I wouldn't worry about loading up to the baffle because as soon as the load gets going it shrinks down and gives you that air gap you need. Just be careful not to cram it in there and damage the baffle, some baffles are pretty fragile.

Todd is spot on in my opinion. The wood will start to shrink early on in the fire. I personally load the sucker stuffed full.

Status
Not open for further replies.