Volume of stored pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeNH

Burning Hunk
Nov 27, 2012
Temple, NH
Hi Guys,

This weekend I'm going to be shifting things around in the basement for my upcoming pellet delivery. I originally thought about storing 2 of the 3 ton outside under my deck in their original wrapping and setting up a tarp over the top of them. The deck is 10 ft high so a forklift can place them where I want them. My boat is under there now in this same fashion and the interior stays nice and dry through the winter, however boats are made to get wet and pellets are not. The thought of getting them completely inside was more appealing. Therefore I'm trying to figure out the volume of 3 ton of stacked pellets and want to check my numbers. From what I read, one ton is delivered on a pallet that measures 4x4 and the ton is 4 ft high (so 64 cu ft), therefore to stack 3 ton, I need 192 cu ft of space, not including the volume of the pallets I'm going to put them down on. Is this about right? Thanks

Mike

I don't think those numbers are accurate. The pallets are not square.. they are rectangles a bit. 40x48 inches. And the stack is taller than it is wide/long. Maybe 50"? it would depend a bit on the actual bags themselves. different brands are different. Remember, pellets are sold by WEIGHT not by volume.

I wouldn't recommend outside sotrage at all. Even splash-ups from the ground can be bad. If you do leave them out, tarp UNDER the bottom too so that they stay completely dry.

MikeNH...You must be an engineer (And I don't mean you drive trains) lol!!

Briansol is correct 40"X48"

Depending on your headroom, I would stack the 3 ton on 2 pallets meaning the floor area required would be about 8'-0" x 3'-4" or 6'-8" x 4'-0" depending on how you orient your pallets.:cool:

I don't think those numbers are accurate. The pallets are not square.. they are rectangles a bit. 40x48 inches. And the stack is taller than it is wide/long. Maybe 50"? it would depend a bit on the actual bags themselves. different brands are different. Remember, pellets are sold by WEIGHT not by volume.

I wouldn't recommend outside sotrage at all. Even splash-ups from the ground can be bad. If you do leave them out, tarp UNDER the bottom too so that they stay completely dry.

Ok this gives me a rough idea to go on, thank-you. I think I have enough room where I want to place these inside, so this should work out well.

and lol....I'm not an engineer, but I had to take WAAAAY too much calculus in college, so I might as well have become one ;)

Thanks

Mike

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.