Vorhaus Stove top fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
So after 13 years of steady service our trusty EcoFan started slowing down badly. Someone mentioned the Vorhaus fan listed on Amazon for $40 so I figured I'd give it a try. The fan is smaller than the large size EcoFan that we have. The EcoFan blade is 8" diameter and the Vorhaus is a diminutive 5.75".

Lit the stove today as it looks like we are in for a chilly spell. The fan started right up when place on the trivet of the stove with stove top at 675ºF. I put my hand in front of it and felt nothing, so I got out an incense stick to test air flow. Oh oh, the fan was running backward. Instead of blowing it was sucking, and poorly. A look on the backside revealed the problem. Wire connections are reversed with the negative from the TEG connected to the positive on the motor. Mulling it over now whether to return to Amazon or to reverse wiring and put the EcoFan blade on it. ;hm

fan front.jpg fan back.jpg

Reactions: WayneN
I would just try to reverse the wires. If you replace it the next one will probably be backwards too! Please report back on how well it works if you get it fixed. I was looking at getting the same fan, either this one or one of the eco fan clones off eBay.

Yes, it was inexpensive enough that I may just experiment with it. But caveat emptor to others.

Reactions: WayneN
Status
Not open for further replies.