VT Castings Vigiliant doesn't get hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanhoesenj

Oct 18, 2006
Hi all -

Thanks for the great resource first of all. I have a 1977 VT castings Vigilant that I recently installed, it vents vertically through a shed roof on the back of my house (8" metalasbestos). I have approximately 12 feet of pipe from the stove to the cap and a local dealer just told me that VT Castings suggests ~16 feet of stack for a good draft (he really knows his stuff so I believe him). I'm just wondering if there is anything else that might cause this.

Things I don't think it is:

1. The wood is seasoned, tried burning pine and birch, hit's about 400 degrees max (it never roars like I'm used to)
2. I have an 1860 house, it's drafty, not too tight.
3. I preheat every fire with a nice small pine fire

It burns just fine, will burn all night long actually, I just can't get it HOT. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for your help!
cheers
John

I'm sure Craig or Elk will chime in soon, but is there a draft divertor lever on the left side? If yes, it needs to be closed once the fire is hot and the wood has charred. Otherwise the hot gases are just heading straight up the flue.

BeGreen said:
I'm sure Craig or Elk will chime in soon, but is there a draft divertor lever on the left side? If yes, it needs to be closed once the fire is hot and the wood has charred.

Thanks BeGreen, yes the draft lever is on the left hand side, but the manual suggests that you shouldn't close that until the stack temp hits 550, which I have yet to do. I'm really not having any other issues (e.g. - no puffing, fire burns all night, etc) related to draft, just can't get it roaring. VC says you can run the stove in updraft or horizontal mode, so supposedly I can leave the draft lever horizontal (open) and run it hot and fast, but no luck yet.

Thanks for replying, much appreciated!
cheers
John

I think either the stack thermometer is off or maybe mislocated? Is this a single wall or double wall stack on the stove? Try moving the thermometer to the stove top and using that temp as a guide.

Give the divertor a try after you're sure the wood is burning well. I think you'll find that stove puts out a fair amount of heat.

PS: I am assuming that the thermostatic air control lever is set to call for heat (air control open). Is that correct?

A little more height might help=====BUT, the true indication of good draft on that stove is to put it in the downdraft mode and see if it works well. This will also allow more heat transfer to the stove, so it will get hotter.

Updraft mode is for starting it and for screen, etc. - downdraft is for heat.

Speaking of that, do you have the original owners manual? I'm trying to dig up some old manuals to scan for folks that don't have them....

BeGreen said:
I think either the stack thermometer is off or maybe mislocated? Is this a single wall or double wall stack on the stove? Try moving the thermometer to the stove top and using that temp as a guide.

Give the divertor a try after you're sure the wood is burning well. I think you'll find that stove puts out a fair amount of heat.

PS: I am assuming that the thermostatic air control lever is set to call for heat (air control open). Is that correct?

Gotcha, will give it a shot on the stovetop. The pipe through the roof is double wall and then transitions to single wall black pipe, that's where the thermometer is located. I'll try it out though. And yes, the air control lever is in the open mode, I close it down a little at night for a longer burn.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how the stovetop temp turns out, not burning tonight but probably tomorrow.

cheers
J~

Webmaster said:
A little more height might help=====BUT, the true indication of good draft on that stove is to put it in the downdraft mode and see if it works well. This will also allow more heat transfer to the stove, so it will get hotter.

Updraft mode is for starting it and for screen, etc. - downdraft is for heat.

Speaking of that, do you have the original owners manual? I'm trying to dig up some old manuals to scan for folks that don't have them....

Yup, burns ok in the downdraft mode, just not super hot. Might be the thermometer location... I don't have the "original" with this stove, but I have a manual that I've been using, downloaded from VC website. Here's a link (http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/Defiant_Vig_Res_Intre_Pre88-0226.pdf) to the PDF. Hope it helps, was incredibly helpful for me!

Thanks
J~

John try this kindling to smaller splits establishing a good beed of coals add 3 decent splits place the stove thermo in the middle of the griddle plate
After those last 3 splits are going fine reduce inlet air to 1/2. Whatching the stove top thermo bring it up to 550 degrees,
Add two more splits let them get going 15 minuts or so again check your thermo at 550 to 600 degrees damper it down.
Adjust the inlet air so you are burning around 500 to 600 monitor how your stove is opperating if it has burned down hours have passed 400 degrees
add atleast 3 splits open the damper first and increase air if needed get it going to 550 and damper it down again. This is the learning process
Eventually you will know you can add or fillit up completely and make adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.