Waking up to a warm home is a good start...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceisasolid

Jan 3, 2011
North Central Idaho
Greetings,

I've been checking out what others have been doing for a while...

3 splits N/S... 3 splits E/W... I recently had a problem/question about draft and smoke which seemed to be resolved by giving my chimney cap a good cleaning.

I have been running the stove a little hotter (650) and noticed that the secondaries run longer. I have been loading 5 splits in the NC 30 since the last cleaning. Splits are between 8-10 inches wide at the base (haven't measured) and I load 3 of them with 2 inverted in between the ones on the bottom . I have been having consistent 8+ hour burns, a warm home with the upstairs being the low 70s, downs stairs in the low 80s, and coals enough to start a fire to run during the day. This morning, I awoke to a 300 F stove, coals for starting, upstairs 76 F, down higher 80s. So I am using about 13-15 splits per day.

Granted, I may be using a little more wood than I need at this time, but I'm still figuring out how to use this stove after my 2nd season of burning wood. I think that I've used close to 3 cords this season (beginning in late September).

Stay warm.

-Ray

Sounds like your doing pretty good. There is a learning curve, we've been burning for about 4 years....still learning....and this site is full of teachers willing to teach.

2,931 heating degrees day here in this area since July(that's where they start it)..and I have not burnt two cords yet...more like 4.5 face cords.

iceisasolid said:
Greetings,

I've been checking out what others have been doing for a while...

3 splits N/S... 3 splits E/W... I recently had a problem/question about draft and smoke which seemed to be resolved by giving my chimney cap a good cleaning.

I have been running the stove a little hotter (650) and noticed that the secondaries run longer. I have been loading 5 splits in the NC 30 since the last cleaning. Splits are between 8-10 inches wide at the base (haven't measured) and I load 3 of them with 2 inverted in between the ones on the bottom . I have been having consistent 8+ hour burns, a warm home with the upstairs being the low 70s, downs stairs in the low 80s, and coals enough to start a fire to run during the day. This morning, I awoke to a 300 F stove, coals for starting, upstairs 76 F, down higher 80s. So I am using about 13-15 splits per day.

Granted, I may be using a little more wood than I need at this time, but I'm still figuring out how to use this stove after my 2nd season of burning wood. I think that I've used close to 3 cords this season (beginning in late September).

Stay warm.

-Ray
This is a very good description of what you are doing! My only question is, what kind of wood are you burning? I don't think 3 cords is bad at all, I think that is pretty good. And 15 splits a day (depending on what kind of wood it is) isn't too bad. How big is your home? I will say one thing, I believe your wood is seasoned well, and you have a good routine, because you are getting that house plenty warm!

Scotty Overkill said:
This is a very good description of what you are doing! My only question is, what kind of wood are you burning? I don't think 3 cords is bad at all, I think that is pretty good. And 15 splits a day (depending on what kind of wood it is) isn't too bad. How big is your home? I will say one thing, I believe your wood is seasoned well, and you have a good routine, because you are getting that house plenty warm!

My home is about 1800 sq ft, 2 level home, built into a hillside with a walk out basement. The wood came from a logging truck load of mixed Tamarack/red fir/pine/white fir (13+ cords). I enjoy the stove, way more than the ease of flipping a switch to turn on the furnace.

Costs:
$2000 for the chimney and pipe with install
$709 NC 30 delivered compliments of Home Depot
$1200 for the logging truck load

We'll see what I get back from the taxes this year. Idaho allegedly offers a 40% tax credit year #1 then 20% for the next 3 years on the install and the stove.

Thanks for the assistance that the site has provided. I have appreciated it.

-Ray

I think you will find that over the years you will recover all your investment, and you are keeping your money in America using our own fuel. You're doing a great job, Ray. Keep it up!

Scotty Overkill said:
and you are keeping your money in America using our own fuel. You're doing a great job, Ray. Keep it up!
Youre damn right Scotty! Ray, you get a pat on the back my man.

Good burn time.

Good work.

I have to say, 3 cords already seems like a lot to me. Then again, if your downstairs is in the high 80s in morning I can see why. I'm sure things will continue to settle down a bit for you. If you can't tame the beast, you might want to consider loading a little less full and resorting to some small kindling or even a little fire starter in the morning to conserve a little wood. You certainly aren't doing anything wrong, but that is a hot house!

Status
Not open for further replies.