Walk me through cutting firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tandi, Welcome to the forum. I still have my little Jonsered from when we had the outside boiler and bought tree length. Hubby's Stihl was just too big a saw for me to be happy using. Look after you by getting that safety gear and learning the proper techniques.

Multiple chains has been mentioned but learning how to sharpen them is just as important. A skill I never did acquire:(

Bio-bricks mixed in might be an option that can be used to extend your seasoned wood.

Keep the oil furnace ... good to have back-up and can always use the fan to circulate air to distribute heat better.

Get that wood C/S/S! Update us with picks of the install and the wood pile or it never happened;lol

PS ... You won't need that gym membership!

Reactions: huauqui
I think that most has already been covered.

Chainsaws: Buy a "homeowner" saw first. But know if you get into this, the first time that you use a better saw will leave you wanting one. Right now, I use a saw in the middle of Husky's pro line. (562XP). I've used saws from the upper end, and they're a joy to run, but also double the price of what I have.

Since you're in PA, you may be able to find some standing dead Ash trees. The EAB has killed every ash tree on my family's property. My dad and I have been trying to get it all before it falls and rots. But, since it's standing dead, it needs less drying time than other things.

Of course, cutting dead trees amongst other dead trees brings with it it's own set of problems. Gotta keep a close eye upward for falling dead limbs. I took a pretty good shot to the head two years ago from a good sized branch.

Finally, as some others have said, cutting down trees has a steep learning curve. I've done it on and off for years, and I still can't judge where a tree will fall every time. I'm pretty good on flat land. The trees dad and I are currently getting are on the side of the ridge and I feel like a beginner again. I can keep an eye on the bottom of the tree and see the signs that I've judged it wrong so I don't often get the bar pinched. And I'm smart enough to know to keep equipment away and to keep an eye out for my dad on the tractor, so the worst that happens is a hung up tree and a slightly bruised ego.

Gotta keep a close eye upward for falling dead limbs. I took a pretty good shot to the head two years ago from a good sized branch.

Known as "widow makers" here. One of our long-time area loggers died this way:(

it also concerns me that the female is asking the questions about chain saws and mauls, and not the man

Be careful about stereotyping, I know of some very competent ladies who runs saws and split wood. They just work smarter, not harder ;)

To go one step further I know of one woman who stands 6'1 215 lbs and solid muscle who could probably swing a maul harder and faster than lots of men I know.

I'm sure any woman who puts there mind to it can.
I'm 5ft 6 and not exactly the strongest of men. And I am managing to run every saw I have tried. Although I don't much enjoy running the McCullough promac 700.
My wife will do just about everything besides felling or lifting the large rounds.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lake Girl
Assuming you're short on seasoned wood; and that you are burning a high efficiency wood stove you will need to move fast to get wood cut/ split/ and stacked (C/S/S) very soon.
WOOD:
* Concentrate on procuring good quantity of quick drying wood, such as silver maple, and other soft hardwoods, and softwoods.
* Consider a wood dump/ drop off from an arborist
* Look for wood scrounges nearby
* Look for small, downed, dead trees (and split them too as they'll still need to season). Concentrate on top, outer smaller branches as they'll have lower MC.
* Where possible cut clear pieces of logs free of the knots/ splits that will make it easier for you to split later.
* The shorter the length, the quicker the drying time; the smaller diameter the split, the quicker the drying time.
* Cut & stack soon.
* Split into smaller splits to facilitate quicker seasoning
* Stack off the ground in sunny location with good air flow (single row instead of cube, or tight double rows).
* Stack (single row) right away
* Shoot for a goal of 3-year supply
* Work denser woods (e.g. oak, hickory, locust that takes years to season) into your inventory only once you've got enough seasoned wood for this season and next.
HELP:
* Find someone you trust to help you through the process.
* Tag along/ offer to help when collecting, cutting, splitting wood.
TOOLS:
Chain saw: learn from friends safe use, what PPE to wear, how to maintain, and how to sharpen
* Understand kickback and keep to the left of the saw's kickback plane
* Stick to homeowner saw with a small engine 40 cc - 50 cc and with short bar (16").
* Try different saws if possible with different configurations
* Keep chain sharp
* Don't operate when fatigued, or if not comfortable using saw.
Splitting maul: Fiskars X-27 - It's light, very effective, great value.

Reactions: HisTreeNut
Boy, lots of informative replies, I hope for the sake of all those who have taken the time to reply that the OP returns to read some of it. :p
Even if she doesn't, I've enjoyed the thread! The romance of the plan sure goes away quickly when reality sets in. Just like lots of stuff in life. A lot of commitment will be required to make it work, for sure.

Are we sure we are not getting punked again?

Reactions: Lakeside
Hello! I'm new to the forum and very inexperienced with woodburning but SO excited to start. My husband and I are buying a Woodstock Keystone and converting to 100% wood heat from oil heat. We are unhooking our furnace so we can vent through the same chimney so we're committed.

We're currently building our hearth pad and will have the stove in about a month.

There is so much to learn and I'm having a hard time following all the terminology. Please help a newbie. We want to eventually cut all our wood. I'm thinking we'll need to buy seasoned wood for this coming year but want to start our wood pile for coming years. What is the cheapest/easiest way to do this?

I thought we could buy a truckload of logs and move from there. Maybe it's better to buy smaller logs and just split them, though. I don't know...what would you recommend? How many cords should we try to cut this year to get ahead?

This is my understanding of the process; please correct me if needed:
1). cut tree length log into 16" logs (with what? a chainsaw?). Is this called "bucking"?!
2). split logs into firewood pieces (with a splitter that we rent?)
3). stack firewood on pallets and cover with a roof to protect from rain

Is that the gist? What equipment is needed and what makes sense to buy vs rent?

I'll probably keep asking questions, but this is where I'm starting. Thanks in advance!

A few observations:
Chances are good that you cannot use the same chimney as you used for your furnace. A "wood appliance" requires a high temperature chimney in a specific size. Most furnace chimneys are not able to handle the high temperatures of a wood stove and are too small diameter. My gas furnace runs on a 4 inch chimney and is considered a large chimney for a gas burner around here.

Read the materials that come with your new stove. It will tell you the best length splits for running your stove. My own tells me the best size is 12 inches but I can fit a 16 inch split if I turn it sideways. It just won't give me the best fire that way.

1. Yes it is called bucking and you do it most often using a chain saw.
2. It is possible to use a splitter to split rounds into splits but few people will rent a splitter for all of their wood. The more popular ways to do it is either to split by hand using a good splitting maul or invest in a 22 ton splitter. I can hand split almost as fast as a splitter except for the few rounds that contain significant knots. Those can be split by using a sledge and wedges or they can be tossed aside until the build up of them is enough to warrant renting a splitter. Renting a splitter will pay for a new one in just a couple of years of rental fees which is why it is not a popular long term way to split all of your wood.
3. Yes stacking your firewood splits to let them dry properly is a necessity. Wood will be in your stacks for at least a year for soft woods and 2 years for hard woods.

As far as buying a log load, that will work if you do it far enough ahead of time. If you have a log load delivered tomorrow morning and get it cut/split and stacked this weekend you will have wood for the fall of 2017, not 2016. As far as how much wood you will need, it would be hard to guess but if you remove your conventional furnace I would not go into my first winter with less than 5 full cords of dry hardwoods. A full cord is a stack 4 feet high, 4 feet wide and 8 feet long, or an equivalent 128 cubic foot volume.

Your concept of buying seasoned wood would be great if such a thing was even possible. Wood sellers will often call wood "seasoned" if it has had a whole month or two to start drying after being cut to length. That stuff is not going into my stove and to me is not worth one penny more than "green" wood. If you burn that kind of wood you will have troubles and will be on the roof cleaning your chimney every couple of weeks to avoid a chimney fire.

Bucking means buying a chain saw, a few "felling wedges" and whatever tools you need to roll over logs so that you don't get your chain into the dirt. Most often that is a peavey or a cant hook but for small logs you can roll them by hand. If you are going to run a chain saw you will also want at least chaps for your legs and eye and ear protection. A chain saw can go right through a leg in just a few seconds so get the chain saw chaps and use them. Chain saws are basically as loud as a jet engine so hearing protection is a must and a chain saw throws tons of wood chips towards you so protect your eyes. If you are careful enough you could get through your first year of using a chain saw without buying sharpening tools but at least for a beginner I would recommend at least a tool like the Granberg file-n-joint filing guide and files to match your chain

or a sharpening tool like this one.

Splitting means buying a splitting maul, a couple of splitting wedges(very different from felling wedges) and a small sledge hammer.

Chances are good that you cannot use the same chimney as you used for your furnace. A "wood appliance" requires a high temperature chimney in a specific size. Most furnace chimneys are not able to handle the high temperatures of a wood stove and are too small diameter. My gas furnace runs on a 4 inch chimney and is considered a large chimney for a gas burner around here.
The vast majority of furnaces here in central PA which is about the same as lancaster where the op is from are vented into clay lined masonry chimneys. Which as long as it is code compliant and in good condition and sized correctly can handle a wood stove just fine.

Other than that I agree with just about everything. But we have quite a few customers that rent a splitter for a day to split their wood. Around here it is only $50 to $60 for a day and if you have your wood all cut it is not to hard to split 3 cords or so in a day. Then stack later. At 50 to 60 a day it will take a long time to add up to the cost of a splitter. But that price will vary allot by the area

The vast majority of furnaces here in central PA which is about the same as lancaster where the op is from are vented into clay lined masonry chimneys. Which as long as it is code compliant and in good condition and sized correctly can handle a wood stove just fine.

Other than that I agree with just about everything. But we have quite a few customers that rent a splitter for a day to split their wood. Around here it is only $50 to $60 for a day and if you have your wood all cut it is not to hard to split 3 cords or so in a day. Then stack later. At 50 to 60 a day it will take a long time to add up to the cost of a splitter. But that price will vary allot by the area

Be careful, old clay lined masonry chimneys crack, newbie burning green wood, a creosote chimney fire will find its way to the roof..don't do it without proper inspection.

Be careful, old clay lined masonry chimneys crack, newbie burning green wood, a creosote chimney fire will find its way to the roof..don't do it without proper inspection.
Yes of course I know that. Did you not notice where I said as long as it is code compliant and in good condition and sized correctly To find out is any of those conditions are met a through inspection would be required which would find those cracks. And as long as the chimney is code compliant with proper clearances the chances of a chimney fire reaching the house structure even if the tiles crack is very slim. That being said after those tiles crack and allow creosote out sided them for a while the risk goes up.

Good luck on your endeavor! I'm jealous as I only have a fireplace.

Definitely recommend the Fiskars splitting axe. Goes for about $50 give or take. Wish I would've bought one a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.