1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wall clearance from gas furnace

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by RISurfer20, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RISurfer20

RISurfer20 Member

I plan on finishing my basement. I will have to place a wall to block off the area where my gas furnace and water heater is located. I would like to build a 2x4 wall infront of this area with a french door to provide access to this area. My question is, what is the clearance needed from the front of the gas furnace to the wall and door? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Not sure, but it should be in the manual for your furnace. (if it isn't attached to the furnace somewhere, see if you can find a make / model and search on line.) There may also be a label that will specify the clearances. Another thing to keep in mind is the need to make sure your wall doesn't cause an excess restriction on the combustion airflow requirements for the furnace and water heater - this can cause backdrafting and other problems. I am not sure of the formulas, but code requires a certain amount of open space for each appliance (which can be supplied by use of louvered walls or doors, if they supply enough open area)

Gooserider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.