Wall clearance from gas furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

May 12, 2007
I plan on finishing my basement. I will have to place a wall to block off the area where my gas furnace and water heater is located. I would like to build a 2x4 wall infront of this area with a french door to provide access to this area. My question is, what is the clearance needed from the front of the gas furnace to the wall and door? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

RISurfer20 said:
I plan on finishing my basement. I will have to place a wall to block off the area where my gas furnace and water heater is located. I would like to build a 2x4 wall infront of this area with a french door to provide access to this area. My question is, what is the clearance needed from the front of the gas furnace to the wall and door? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure, but it should be in the manual for your furnace. (if it isn't attached to the furnace somewhere, see if you can find a make / model and search on line.) There may also be a label that will specify the clearances. Another thing to keep in mind is the need to make sure your wall doesn't cause an excess restriction on the combustion airflow requirements for the furnace and water heater - this can cause backdrafting and other problems. I am not sure of the formulas, but code requires a certain amount of open space for each appliance (which can be supplied by use of louvered walls or doors, if they supply enough open area)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.