wall covering behind woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tahoejeff77

Hearth Supporter
Oct 11, 2010
Central Wisconsin
I've had this cement board behind my woodstove for a few years now. I have over 1" air gap behind it, with a gap at the bottom too. I did paint it with heatproof paint, but now want to improve the appearance.
Open to suggestions.
What would you think of a product like this? https://www.americantinceilings.com/pattern3-bs/

stove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be ok as long as it's not glued on. The unfinished panels would be better if the coating they use is plastic or flammable.

Last edited:
I personally don’t like the look of them but if you do and they are solid tin or ceramic there shouldn’t be a problem. Have you thought about taking the concrete board all the way up to the ceiling with just a 1” gap up there? Might give you a better look?

We use a radiant heat barrier similar to this one :
Amazon product ASIN B0104WSALY
We have wood on our wall and this stuff is actually cool to the touch even though it is close to the stove. The stuff is easy to work with, you can frame it with something if you like and place it behind the stove. Its easy to remove in the off season if you don't want it there. It really reflects the heat back into the room. Love it.
I just noticed that this site wont let me post a link. Just go to amazon and look up radiant hear barrier and you will see whatI am talking about.

We use a radiant heat barrier similar to this one :
Amazon product ASIN B0104WSALY
We have wood on our wall and this stuff is actually cool to the touch even though it is close to the stove. The stuff is easy to work with, you can frame it with something if you like and place it behind the stove. Its easy to remove in the off season if you don't want it there. It really reflects the heat back into the room. Love it.
I just noticed that this site wont let me post a link. Just go to amazon and look up radiant hear barrier and you will see whatI am talking about.

Do you mean you put that directly on the wood wall?

Do you mean you put that directly on the wood wall?
Yes. I installed the wood on the wall and the stove was well away from the wood according to manuf specs. But wall was still getting too warm for my liking. We simply taped the radiant heat barrier directly to the wall. Its amazing how well it works. But if you wanted (which is what I will do this summer) you can frame the material with small trim pieces of wood and simply attach it to the wall with hooks. I am sure you can probably find a small roll of the stuff for very little. Good luck.