Wall & Floor Protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

I just want to double check with the experts here...... I'm having the stove installed in a week. The stove willl have a bottom and rear heat deflector, and the company I bought the stove from said I will be okay with just an " american panel " floor/stove board. The paticular item I am looking at is the iron rock corner piece ( hopefully the picture or link shows). That is all the protection I will need. Nothing on the walls...( although I plan to leave space for future wall boards, when $$ permits) and the floorboard can be installed right over top the carpet. Even though I am getting the heat deflectors, I am still keeping the stove at required distanced as if there were no deflectors at all per the ol' lady. Thx for replies

Attachments

• thumbnail[11].jpg
    thumbnail[11].jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 273
Dont know the name of my Hearth board Manufacturer of hand ($450 at Stove shop) but it stated to remove the carpet underneath. Every Manufacturer is different, so read tue manual like Fossil stated.

I am definitely going to read all manuals. All I have right now is an empty space where the stove will go. I did however pre print a manual for the stove to study so I know what to look when the thing gets delivered and installed. The manual isn't going to tell when the dealer is lying to me because I'm a newbie so he can get a quick sale.thats why I come here, asking questions, and getting the most expert advice from a good ol' group of woodburners who aren't gonna give me an answer to make a quick buck. I'll read all the manuals, and probably continue to ask questions. Cheers!

According to the manual all you need with the bottom heat shield in place is a non-combustible surface (most likely for ember protection only) extending 16 inches in front and 8 inches around the sides and back . . . if you did not have the bottom heat shield you could either buy a UL-tested (there are other testing labs listed as well) stove board or make your own out of non-combustible material with a R value of 2.0 . . . again with the same size extensions on the front, sides and back.

Page 12 and 13 how the clearances . . . depending on how you are locating your stove . . . like you I opted for the extra protection of the rear shield, but actually installed it as if I had not put on the rear shield . . . in fact I think I even gave myself an extra inch or two of clearance . . . figured it couldn't hurt and would give me peace of mind.

Yes, better to be extra cautious. Still looking for the american panel manual for what is ok under the pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.