Wall heat shield question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mol1jb

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2014
Central IL
Hey all,

I am in the planning process of finishing the basement walls (stud, insulation, drywall). Before the basement was just cement block so I didn't have to worry about clearences. My NC30 is a corner install. I understand the basic clearences from stove to combustible for a corner install, but I am wondering how far out to build the wall heat shield from the back corner of the wall. Does it have to be even with the front of the stove? Any help would be appreciated.

My shield is an inch out from the wall. The wall behind the shield is same as yours: drywall, studs, fiberglass batt insulation. As long as you have air circulation behind the shield, that should work. Air needs to be able to come in behind the shield from the bottom and rise up and out at the top. Or, that's the way I have it set up.

I have had this shield in place for about 30 years. Recently, I purchased an IR temp' gun and checked out the effectiveness of the shield with the stove in operation. It was good, drywall behind was only a little warmer than room air temp'.

You could make your air space larger if you want. I simply took some scrap elec. conduit I had lying around, cut some one-inch tubes from it, used those as sleeves through which I ran the bolts that hold the shield up off the floor and to the wall. Some people recommend not using a metal, or other heat-conducting material, as wall offsets. It hasn't been a problem for me. The temp. gun did not show any warmer drywall area around the points where my conduit sleeves touched.

Thanks for the response Steve but I am more looking at what, if any, are the required dimensions for a wall heat shield. Does the heat shield have to come even with the stove? Go further than the stove? How much further?

What is the intention behind doing a wall shield for this stove? Are you going for the 12" corner clearance? Does the stove have the side shields on it?

If so, consider using metal studs to frame out the wall behind the stove to the side extents of the hearth and cover it with cement board. Insulate with a vapor barrier then Roxul mineral wool. This way there will be no need for a wall shield. The cement board can be painted, tiled, brick veneered, etc.

Last edited:
Well, if I am understanding your question, the dimensions will depend on distance from the stove to combustibles. You want the shield to extend past and above the stove if radiant heat from the sides and top of the stove will be hitting the wall within the required set-backs from the stove. Does that make sense? For example, if your stove is required to have 24" between the side of the stove and the wall, the shield will have to extend far enough that a tape measure shows no less than 24" from the wall to the stove at the edge of the shield.

Thank you begreen, that was actually what I am going.

Steve, that makes good sense. I will use that as my base point for dimensions for my non-combustible wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.