Wall is hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loneeagle15

Feb 12, 2007
Montana
Ok I fired up my Mansfield today just because it was kinda cool out and we have been wanting to see it in action the side clearance is 18" in the manual I placed it at 22" felt my wall just to see and it is hot placed a therm on it and it is 160f is this ok? We were planning on putting up cement backer board and fake stone some time down the road should I make this a priority?
Thanks

117F above ambient is what is considered safe with gas fireplaces. Not sure if this applies to wood also? If the room is around 70F, that means the walls and other combustibles around it could safely get up to 187F. This is how they test gas fireplaces and stoves for clearances.

Does anyone know if this applies to wood as well as gas?

How is the wall finished ? A darker color will absorb considerably more heat than a lighter one. Black will absorb the most heat. If the wall is a dark color, refinishit it lighter will reduce the temperature quite a bit.

UL 1482 fire test specs for solid fuel stoves are for no more than 117 over ambient for exposed surfaces and 90 over ambient for unexposed surfaces.

Of course nobody seems to know where they came up with the numbers.

I have a non combustable brick wall behind my Mansfield and after it ran for a considerable time the wall behind it was so hot I could not put my hand on it. My stove sit much closer to the wall than yours though.

I put a heat shield on it as I figured I was losing heat from the bricks and block structure behind it sucking the heat away. The wall now gets warm but nothing like it did prior to the heat shield.

Put a heat shield on it so you can keep the heat in the room and not send it into the wall.

Thanks I do have the rear heat shield on the stove it is the side wall that is getting hot. I noticed that the secondary burn really never took off is this normal with only burning a short time my top only got up to 450f?
Thanks again

The wall temp hit 180's a few times last year with our homestead, this seemed pretty hot so I called Hearthstone and they gave me the 117 deg. spec also. It would only get that temp in 6x6 in. area, the stove was at the minimum clearance of 16 in. so this year I increased that to 19 in. to see if the temps will be a little lower.

I got a nice rolling secondary at arond 350-400 burning softwoods in my Heritage. It was especially easy to see the secondary action when you backed off the primary air a bit. The top temp you mention of 450 is getting near the limit for the soapstone stoves. They are NOT meant to be run at 600+ like a steel stove. I plan to run in the 450 to 500 range when I am trying to make heat.

Walls will get MUCH hotter when the temps outside are warmer....like now!

I would not worry about using the manufacturers specs. They definitely burn that thing a LOT hotter than you can using these oven-dried babies.....

Attachments

• 140brands.jpg
    140brands.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 379
My Mansfield manual right in front of me states "The thermometer could read as high as 600 deg. F and 300-400 F on low burns. I would not worry to much about going over 500 degrees.

It would be my common sense telling me though that you do not want to reach 600 degrees in a short time though as thermal shock could be what break things more so than the high temp. At least that is my free $0.02.

I will warn you though that once it is rolling at 5-550 you will see some serious secondary and once you hit 600 depending on your home size you just might be looking for windows to open :lol: the mansfield name comes from it being a manly mans wood heater. At least in my mind :p

struggle said:
I will warn you though that once it is rolling at 5-550 you will see some serious secondary and once you hit 600 depending on your home size you just might be looking for windows to open :lol: the mansfield name comes from it being a manly mans wood heater. At least in my mind :p

That big hoss at six hundred has got to be tossing some serious heat for a long, long time.

That is why they call it the "MANS"field

Somehow kidsfield does not portray the correct image of what this thing becomes at 600 degrees

struggle said:
That is why they call it the "MANS"field

Somehow kidsfield does not portray the correct image of what this thing becomes at 600 degrees

Should have called it Hearthstone HotRocks.

the Ul listing BB supplied is applied to Gas stoves Wood stoves is 90 degrees over ambience's temps.

160 degrees is approaching that limit and is damn hot and I would be concerned. If you do plan r to build a non combustible wall
I would incorporate an 1" airspace in your design You are reaching these temps now what do you think will occur burning 24/7

Naturally if it is an outside exposed wall when colder IT may never reach that them range in the dead of winter If an interior wall You are right to post a concern.

Even if exterior, I would monitor it closely. Remember clearances are minimum distances.

elkimmeg said:
the Ul listing BB supplied is applied to Gas stoves Wood stoves is 90 degrees over ambience's temps.

160 degrees is approaching that limit and is damn hot and I would be concerned. If you do plan r to build a non combustible wall
I would incorporate an 1" airspace in your design You are reaching these temps now what do you think will occur burning 24/7

Naturally if it is an outside exposed wall when colder IT may never reach that them range in the dead of winter If an interior wall You are right to post a concern.

Even if exterior, I would monitor it closely. Remember clearances are minimum distances.

UL 1482 is for solid fuel appliances Elk. Last time I looked wood was solid. And the 90 degrees is for un-exposed surfaces.

I agree though that I don't want any walls in this place getting to 160 degrees or over. Or the studs behind them at over 90.

BB is correct I stand corrected on Ul 1482. We both agree if limited burning get you there I would be concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.