Wall pass through, a brick wall with drywall behind it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2014
MD
Hello, everyone! I bought a new stove to replace my old fisher mama bear. Last season I discovered the brick wall behind the wood stove is attached to drywall. There is a 9 in clay thimble that's cracked and is about 20" long connecting to the chimney. The chimney is lined with a SS liner, the manufacture of the liner system is unknown. I was looking to run a double wall pipe through the 9" clay thimble and connect to the liner Tee snout. Are the double wall pipe able to fit through a 9" clay thimble? Will double wall pipe connect to a liner tee snout?

Other Idea is to remove brick from around the 9"clay thimble back 12" form the outside of thimble. This would allow me to remove the drywall from behind it and rerun any 2x4 from the wall studs to provide proper clearances. The house was built in 1980's and chimney added sometime after that.

Any thought's would greatly be appreciated as I'm anxious to get the Ideal Steel Hybrid installed to use this winter. Without burning down the house after it's all setup.

If I understand your dilemma, you are not really worried about the drywall but are worried about being too close to the wooden studs that support it. Depending on access you may be able to replace those studs with steel studs and your problem would no longer be a problem.

If I understand your dilemma, you are not really worried about the drywall but are worried about being too close to the wooden studs that support it. Depending on access you may be able to replace those studs with steel studs and your problem would no longer be a problem
Well not exactly drywall is classified as combustible and there is still the sheathing on the outside of that wall.

Any thought's would greatly be appreciated as I'm anxious to get the Ideal Steel Hybrid installed to use this winter. Without burning down the house after it's all setup.
What you need is an insulated wall pass thru. There are many manufacturers that make them you will need to follow the instruction and cut a hole the correct size through the brick and any combustible materials untill you get to the masonry of the chimney. Then install the pass thru and trim according to the instructions.

I'm concerned with the drywall also behind the brick. Looking at the pass through systems I'm concerned with connecting to the 6" tee snout. Id love to run a pass through with insulation in the clay pipe and call it a day. Most I've seen require 14" work area and a second plate on the outside of the exterior wall. My chimney is hard against the siding only allowing to work from inside the house.

I'm concerned with the drywall also behind the brick. Looking at the pass through systems I'm concerned with connecting to the 6" tee snout. Id love to run a pass through with insulation in the clay pipe and call it a day. Most I've seen require 14" work area and a second plate on the outside of the exterior wall. My chimney is hard against the siding only allowing to work from inside the house.
You are not looking at the right products. Here is the first one i found but there are many on the market designed for just this situation. http://www.hartshearth.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4033

I have installed many i like olympia's the best but they are all installed by cutting through from the inside.

What goes behind the ss part that would connect to the snout? Regular single wall again or get a longer snout?
That depends on the unit you use some have a ss sleve you would connect to your snout some your snout runs through their unit. If you snout is not long enough you would either have to get a longer one or extend it with a piece of ss pipe.

Thanks for the info. I should plan on removing brick and the 9" clay liner then. Dont want to spend $250 + and have it not work out.

Thanks for the info. I should plan on removing brick and the 9" clay liner then. Dont want to spend $250 + and have it not work out.
The only ways i know to do it to code is either wit hone of the ul listed wall pass thru of cut everything out and put in the required masonry. The masonry is much cheaper but allot more work and a lot harder to do nicely.

Okay so I busted out most of the clay pipe as it was cracked and i didn't see a need for it when installing a wall pass through kit. The kit im planning to use is the ITH from ICC. It's a insulated thimble for passing through combustible walls. My wall is combustible as they laid brick over top dry wall, lucky me. Has anyone used the ICC ITH thimble? Looking to see if it's going to slide over a standard 6" snout?

Attachments

• IMG-20150809-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20150809-WA0000.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG-20150809-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20150809-WA0002.jpeg
    498.3 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG-20150809-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20150809-WA0007.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 494
Status
Not open for further replies.