Wall Protection Questions (F55 and KQ 380)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rusnakes

Jan 24, 2013
SE Michigan
Greetings all.

We are getting to the point of planning out and executing the installation the wall protection for our Jotul F55 Carrabassett and Kitchen Queen 380 (two separate sides of the house) and we are mulling over how best to do wall protection behind each.

I have read that you need a non-combustible material--we are planning to use a tile of some sort over 1/2" cement board. I have also read you need a 1" air gap behind that board. I assume you shim out the studs 1" and then apply the cement board on top.

I have also read that you need a 1" gap between your non-combustible material and the floor, to allow airflow into the air gap.

So, this means we have 1" scabs on the studs, cement board hung 1" above the flooring, and likely some kind of trim on the top of this 1" gap at the top and sides (e.g., square tile pieces; oak).

What does that 1" gap look like by the floor? I assume you can't cover it up, so it would be a gaping hole there, no?

Second question--what height would be safe for the wall protection for each? To say there is a dearth of info in the manuals for wall protection would be an understatement. :)

Any thoughts would be great! Much appreciated.

First thing, be guided by the manual. There's no sense in putting in NFPA 211 ventilated wall shielding unless the stove's manual specifies that this is permissible for reducing the stove's wall clearance.

If indeed an NFPA wall shield is warranted then it must be open top and bottom to allow the free flow of air behind it. The cap can not block airflow unless there are ventilation slots at the top.

Yes, I totally understand that. The manual has exceptionally little to say about the wall protection. We read up on the NFPA 211 requirements and are in the process of figuring out how we can manage it in a corner installation (with the rear corner cut on the square, making the wall a lot closer and the use of ceramic spacers behind the stove a necessary thing. So, lots of decisions on products to use to create that wall shield. The 380 will be covered with the rear heat shield for unprotected walls, so we are good to go there after purchasing that product yesterday.