wall shield thickness...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dear god...i go to a meeting, come back and this turned into a very technical thread...

i just want a nice shield to keep my walls cooler... hahaha

Sheet metal. Ceramic spacers. 1" airspace. Material/color of your choosing. Don't know how old you are, but a first colonoscopy around age 50 is a real good idea. Rick

fossil said:
Sheet metal. Ceramic spacers. 1" airspace. Material/color of your choosing. Don't know how old you are, but a first colonoscopy around age 50 is a real good idea. Rick

Call me when you're ready. OK- I'm not THAT kind of doctor, but we can pretend.

not sure how fun it would be to pretend to be the doctor who looks up people's arse's....you guys must know each other!

It's all about what they squeeze into the IV. ;-P Rick

Again mine is 24 gauge for NFPA. I don't think the color will matter much. With the movement of air behind the metal, it stays rather cool.

Trailblaze, yes the smaller the number, the thicker the gauge (just like wire).

I didn't bother trying to locate ceramic spacers. I bought hollow aluminum 1" square stock (four 3ft pieces) and drilled through the stainless and barstock and into my studs (note, you should not have screws directly behind the stove according to the NFPA spec.). I used nickel finishing washers for a clean look against the stainless and the screws themselves are also stainless.

The biggest expense was the piece of brushed stainless with the 90 degree break added and the folded edges all around (~$475) from the only local sheetmetal shop to me (I'm in high-tech country and finding industrial businesses is getting harder and harder).

trailblaze said:
i've found some ceramic spacers on Northlineexpress.com to use to mount the shield...

I'd been having a hard time finding these, so thanks for this link! ;)

I've been thinking about installing a wall shield myself, even if my clearances are ok without, just to get a little bit more natural air circulation going in the house.

Was considering make the shield a fun shape - like a cut out shape of the stove (giant shadow on the wall). For those of you who have worked with sheet metal - would that be tough to do? Who does that kind of work?

For mounting, was just planning on using aluminum (low heat transfer) wall studs mounted vertically and spaced to either side of the stove to allow max air flow.

FORCE FAB said:
Not to highjack this but what is a safe temp for walls to get

I believe it is ambient + 120F (so if your room is 70F, the wall can be 190F)

Status
Not open for further replies.