Wall switch won't work without batteries!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michellep

Dec 2, 2015
Oregon
I am REALLY stumped. I would give anything for a wood fireplace right now. If it's not one thing it's ten others!!!! I had a fire burning in my Heat & Glo the other night and the fire turned off. I assumed I must have run out of LP but I still have 60% left! So I tried igniting again the next day and nothing. Not even sparking. Then I put batteries in and again flipped the wall switch and it lit right up. I removed a battery and out it went. So what in the world would make the wall switch work with a battery but not with power??? The fan wall switch will operate still when I remove the battery. PLEASE HELP. I am so done with this. I can't afford to call a service tech once a year or more! I have a BE-36lp-cipi
I'm cold and I want a fire!!!!

If the thermostat is not wired directly to the fireplace then the switch is wireless to activate the stove which is hardwired to electric. All my ceiling fans are like this in my bedrooms. The lights are on the switch but the fan is controlled wireless due to the fact that the original install only had the one wire running to the light to control the fixture..

Are you sure there is power to the junction box under the unit?
If there is, then it sounds like your 3v DC Transformer has crapped out.
It's the small black box that is plugged into that junction box.
& is wired to the module that controls the unit.
1. Test the junction box for power. If it's HOT' then
2.Unplug the module & get it tested to see if it's converting 110V AC
to 3v DC.
Report back with your results.

Are you sure there is power to the junction box under the unit?
If there is, then it sounds like your 3v DC Transformer has crapped out.
It's the small black box that is plugged into that junction box.
& is wired to the module that controls the unit.
1. Test the junction box for power. If it's HOT' then
2.Unplug the module & get it tested to see if it's converting 110V AC
to 3v DC.
Report back with your results.

I apologize in advance for my ignornance... The "junction box" is the power strip looking thing? If it does indeed have power how do I then test the transformer?
THANK YOU!!!

I apologize in advance for my ignornance... The "junction box" is the power strip looking thing? If it does indeed have power how do I then test the transformer?
THANK YOU!!!

Yes. Lower right side under the firebox...It has 3 or 4 receptacles that can receive electrical plugs. One of them will have the transformer plugged into it. Another will have the blower (if there is one) plugged into it.
If it has power ( you can verify with a tester or a lamp or some other small electrical appliance),
you will need a multimeter set to V DC
1. Unplug the transformer.
2. touch the two spade connectors to the probes on your multimeter.
3. Plug the transformer into a known HOT outlet.
Your meter should read 3 V DC.
If any or all of this is above you, take the transformer to your local hearth shop.

Update:
So I purchased a transformer of the same levels at Radio Shack and spliced on some spade connectors. It ALMOST worked. I was able to get the pilot to light (without batteries) but it never kicked on the fire. Also, I had to flip the wall switch a few times. SO, I just ordered the exact adapter online and hopefully it will work. Maybe the rs one just wasn't the perfect match? Seems odd but Stay tuned....

Status
Not open for further replies.