wall temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RnG17

Sep 9, 2010
PA
Has anyone taken wall/ceiling temps around your stove? Just wondering what everyone else is getting.

I used a surface temp gun I use at work and I was reading 120-125 on the drywall. Ceiling and side wall.

First time burner, just thought I'd check with you guys. Everything is installed more than enough distance away from the wall so I figure I'm fine, but just to ease the mind I'd thought I'd ask.

Thanks everyone!

you're fine.

Go take the temp of the dashboard of your car on a hot day.

120-125 is nothing.

-SF

125F is fine. No problemo.

Agree.........I have a brick wall that was constructed behind our stove (16" clearance??? Don't remember exactly), and checked it the other day, by hand touch, and IR. It was warm (not hot) to the touch, and the IR readings were about that same as yours.

No worries, M8!

-Soupy1957

At what temp does one start to get a little worried? I just saw this after posting a question about the drywall in our kitchen behind our insert... doh!

Someone in here told me that spontaneous combustion occurs at 450ºF, but I'm willing to bet that different materials have different combustibility potentials.

Basically, it's all about keeping a 3 foot barrier between the stove and combustibles in the room, and strictly adhering to manufacturers requirements about clearances to the walls, according to your particular setup.

Taking good care when opening a "hot" stove, is also a HUGE plus! One of the best pieces of advice in that regard, came to me from Jake and others in here, stating that, when opening a stove door during a hot burn...........open it an inch and let the fire react and settle down, BEFORE going in! That one little simple piece of advice, saved my butt a FEW times, so far!!

-Soupy1957

90 deg F above ambient room temp is an acceptable threshold for most combustible surfaces.

RnG17 said:
Has anyone taken wall/ceiling temps around your stove? Just wondering what everyone else is getting.

I used a surface temp gun I use at work and I was reading 120-125 on the drywall. Ceiling and side wall.

First time burner, just thought I'd check with you guys. Everything is installed more than enough distance away from the wall so I figure I'm fine, but just to ease the mind I'd thought I'd ask.

Thanks everyone!

I've shot the walls and ceiling before . . . but can't remember what I got for temps . . . what I do remember is that the temps were not scary high . . . and were much lower than the ignition temps . . . if you've installed everything to the manufacturer specs for clearances you should be fine . . . and the fact you went beyond what was called for makes you more than fine . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.