Wall thermostat with P68 ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve NH

Jun 17, 2008
SW NH
Anyone using a wall thermostat with a P68?
Can it be done? - would it just be wired in the same way as the remote described in this thread
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/28774/

My reason: I turn my stove down low at night - 60 ish and then back up to 70 during the day., using room temp mode.
But the temp dial is not the easiset to see without getting down on my knees so I just have to turn it and guess I got it right.

Thinking a wall thermostat would be easier.

Any thoughts.

PS my P68 is running great - - I have a small (1600 sq ft) colonial and it keeps the whole house very evenly heated - coldest room to warmest room will normally vary by only 2-3 degrees.
I was really surprised at that -

This is from Harman

Technical
Bulletin
MODEL
Pellet
3/26/2007
Adding a programmable set back thermostat for all Harman Pellet Stoves
Thermostat must be:
1) Millivolt compatible
2) Gold Contacts
3) Low Voltage
4) Low current
Recommended Honeywell Thermostats.
RTH230B
RTH6300B
These thermostats are available at hardware stores and home improvement retailers.
Note: If there is a jumper between Rh and Rc it must be removed from the thermostat’s terminal block. Use
minimum 2- conductor 24 gauge twisted pair wire to connect the thermostat.
Connect the thermostat in series with the room sensing probe using the Rh and W terminals on the
thermostat. (See Fig. 1) The set back thermostat must be used in conjunction with the room sensing probe
(except the P38).
Thermostat Settings:
Occupied Mode:
In occupied mode program the thermostat to its maximum temperature setting. (i.e. 82 Deg. F) The stove’s
room sensing probe will control the room temperature. Set the stove’s temperature dial to the desired room
temperature. (i.e. 72 Deg. F)
Unoccupied mode:
In unoccupied mode program the thermostat to the desired set back temperature. (i.e. 60 Deg. F) When the
thermostat opens (is satisfied) the stove will go into a 4-blink status. If the stove is an auto ignite stove and
the auto-manual switch is in auto mode the stove will shut down. When the thermostat closes (calls for heat)
the 4-blink status will automatically reset and the stove will ignite.
If the stove is a manual ignite stove or an auto ignite stove with the auto-manual switch in manual mode, the
stove will go into a 4-blink status when the thermostat opens (is satisfied) and the stove will go to a
minimum burn and stay there until the thermostat closes (calls for heat). When the thermostat closes (calls
for heat) the 4-blink status will reset automatically.
Note: A 4-Blink status is described in the owner’s manual. The status light on the stove will blink 4 times,
pause, and blink 4 times continually. This error code is the board recognizing that the room sensing probe is
not connected or has failed. Breaking one leg of the room sensing probe wiring with the thermostat, as we
are doing here, causes the 4-blink status. This error automatically resets when the board recognizes the room
sensing probe has been reconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.