wall thimble framing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cac4

Jul 11, 2008
Essex County, MA
I was just perusing the install instructions on simpson duravent's website. they say you're supposed to "frame" the opening for a wall thimble. does anyone actually do that?? in a standard 15" stud cavity, you'd have to cut a 15" hole to do that properly.

I cut some pieces just small enough to fit in the opening and screwed then in one at a time. I used 2 on the bottom, 2 on top, and one on each side then screwed from inside & out. I was imagining they wanted it framed up to keep insulation and/or foreign material from getting against the thimble so i figured my lame approach would be OK...

I'm not sure if it's correct or not... I'm just telling you what I did. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.