wall thimble help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ETPHONE

Jan 18, 2007
Thanks for the fast replythis site is the best. How about this as an alternative solution, do you think I could get away with framing the area between the floor joist with sheetrock that way the pipe is in open space with the rest of the room and not enclosed. To further protect the area between the floor joist I could get some sheet metel and cover the sheetrock in the space with it? I have more than enough space where I would have at all times more than 5” of clearance around the flue at all times just like the wall thimble.

Where the flue penatrates through the ceiling, could I get away with installing a metal grate with square openings in it that way it would still make the space open but at the same time I have a more attractive ceiling.

you can do anything you want as long as you keep the 3" clearance from the pipe everywhere, and that whatever you do complies with building codes. Putting metal places does nothing, you need 3" airspace clearance, end of story. The only place you put anything closer than 3" is fire stops, thimbles, or support straps.

Status
Not open for further replies.