Wall thimble install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jason1238

Oct 31, 2006
Mason, OH
Hello all,

I'm doing an "up and out" type install for my Quad 3100 Millenium stove, and I have a question about the penetration through the wall. I'm using Excel products all the way from the stove (double wall) to the roof (Excel Class A). The instructions on the wall thimble say that I need to frame a 10 x 10 rough opening in the wall for the thimble (they call it a "wall radiation shield"-- part# EWRS). This seems to counter the 2" clearance to combustibles required for the Class A that will be passing through it. Am I missing something? That would only leave 1" around the thimble, right? I asked the people at the stove shop where I bought everything, and he said to just cut enough to allow the barrel of the thimble to pass through. This seems to contradict everything else... :mad:

Is this one of those cases where it's OK to reduce the stated clearances as long as you are using one system all the way through (and they tell you it's OK)? I'm not crazy about that, but with the trim ring and cover they supply, it would be nearly impossible to make it work with a 12" hole.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason

jason1238 said:
Hello all,

I'm doing an "up and out" type install for my Quad 3100 Millenium stove, and I have a question about the penetration through the wall. I'm using Excel products all the way from the stove (double wall) to the roof (Excel Class A). The instructions on the wall thimble say that I need to frame a 10 x 10 rough opening in the wall for the thimble (they call it a "wall radiation shield"-- part# EWRS). This seems to counter the 2" clearance to combustibles required for the Class A that will be passing through it. Am I missing something? That would only leave 1" around the thimble, right? I asked the people at the stove shop where I bought everything, and he said to just cut enough to allow the barrel of the thimble to pass through. This seems to contradict everything else... :mad:

Is this one of those cases where it's OK to reduce the stated clearances as long as you are using one system all the way through (and they tell you it's OK)? I'm not crazy about that, but with the trim ring and cover they supply, it would be nearly impossible to make it work with a 12" hole.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason
The ICC wall thimble and Support box Reduces clearances of the pipe where it passes through it only.
the Metal in the thimble shields the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.