Wall thimble installation with beveled cedar siding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcooper

Nov 4, 2013
Danbury, CT
Does anyone have pictures or description of installing a wall thimble with beveled wood siding.

I have a Duratech thimble with a stainless cover. Do I cut a round hole and attach both the thimble and cover on the outside of the siding and seal with silicone? Do I cut the siding to the plywood and have the thimble sort of beveled in?
Thanks for any help!

with mine (a selkirk thimble and log siding) I cut the exterior sheathing round for the thimble to pass through and the siding square to match the exterior plate of the thimble and used 2x2s to frame the cut edges of the siding which provided an attachment plane flush with limits of the siding. I found a picture from just the thimble being in the wall, cropped and expanded it so hopefully you can see what I did framing it out with 2x2s (the mess under the plate is where sealant got scaped onto the siding while positioning it into place). thimble.jpg

with mine (a selkirk thimble and log siding) I cut the exterior sheathing round for the thimble to pass through and the siding square to match the exterior plate of the thimble and used 2x2s to frame the cut edges of the siding which provided an attachment plane flush with limits of the siding. I found a picture from just the thimble being in the wall, cropped and expanded it so hopefully you can see what I did framing it out with 2x2s (the mess under the plate is where sealant got scaped onto the siding while positioning it into place). View attachment 116745

Make a 1" thick block large enough to contain the hole for the thimble, plus an inch or 2 more. Strip the siding back beyond where the block will go. Attach the block to the wall using drip edge on the top. replace the siding up to the block. This is the same scenarioPhoto263.jpg Photo264.jpg Photo265.jpg as where your siding meets and goes around a window or door. This way you get a flat surface to mount everything to. Don't use plywood!

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.