Wall thimble installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nin28

Sep 19, 2008
Pennsyltucky
I just picked up the Simspon Dura-Vent 3000 Kit. This comes with the wall thimble and all the piping that runs up the side of the house. I do have some questions about the thimble installation because the instructions are rather vague.

1. It looks like I need to cut away the wallboard and then mount the thimble on to the studs on either side. This would make the thimble flush against the wallboard, is this correct? If this is the case, what should use as a sealant around the thimble.

2. For the pipe that you push through the thimble, what should I use to lock it in place and seal the gap between the pipe and the thimble? Should I use the RTV sealant that they speak of in the instructions?

3. On the outside of the house I have vinyl. should I use the aluminum thimble they give me and then just put some J-channel around it?

Thanks for any help!

this is mine

Attachments

• DSC00336.jpg
    DSC00336.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,872
I just did one and mine looks like the pic as well and like the pic I used high temp clear silicon.
What I also did was run the fresh air intake through the thimble as well so I would not have to put an other hole in the house.

I like to put a bead of silicone across the top and down each side of the outside of the thimble. That way any water should shed but if it does get behind it has a way out the bottom(don't caulk the bottom). By the way the inside thimble should jst attach to the drywall. You don;t have to cut a square the size of the thimble. You should see the screw holes in the thimble to attach to the drywall.

slink said:
I like to put a bead of silicone across the top and down each side of the outside of the thimble. That way any water should shed but if it does get behind it has a way out the bottom(don't caulk the bottom). By the way the inside thimble should jst attach to the drywall. You don;t have to cut a square the size of the thimble. You should see the screw holes in the thimble to attach to the drywall.

to the untrained eye, it may seem like theres no silicone around the thimble also i applied grace ice and water shield undrer the siding
so there will be absolutely no water coming in

Just wondering, why did you attach the thimble directly to the drywall? Isn't that a lot of weight from the pipe stack sitting on there? Don't you need some wood to support it? Thanks.

nin28 said:
Just wondering, why did you attach the thimble directly to the drywall? Isn't that a lot of weight from the pipe stack sitting on there? Don't you need some wood to support it? Thanks.

I think they meant that just the inside plate that covers the hole only needs to be attached to the drywall......there should be no weight on this anyway. The thimble is attached to the framing members inside the wall, and that is what holds the weight of the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.