Wall Thimble Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn3778

Mar 5, 2007
OK so I consider myself very handy. I ave finised the basement in two homes of mine imcluding all carpentry, electrical and plumbing. After much research, I am confident I could install the new pellet stove sitting on a pallet in my garage. The one thing I do not understand is the wall thimble.

The stove is going in the basement and the vent will rise up, through the wall to the outside. Question is how do I install the wall thimble into the concrete foundation with a standard 2x4 wall against it. Basically the thimble has to go past a 2.4 wall throgh the concrete foundation to out side.

I guess the question is will a standard wall thimble do this and if so, how does it work? I'm sorry if this sounds dumb but, I cannot for the life of me figure this part out.

I am not worried about the heat loss in a basement as I have a gas fireplace on the first floor.

Thanks for your help.

Shawn a newbie

you dont need the thimble going through the concrete foundation, just the combustable section on the inside. The thimble is to protect you from getting to close to combustables. You can snip off the outer halfs ring and masory screw the other half of the thimble to the outside to trim it out, and to provide a good seal.

Just make sure you get the thimble with the 3" clearances. Not the 1" thimble.

The pipe I have been looking at was recommended Simpson Dura Vent. Their thimble has a 3 inch clearence. Any comments on simpson? If I just snip the outside off, could I use just a house sheild on the outside and seal it up real good?

Should I use two clean out t's? On inside at the stove and one outside?

Do I only have to put a pipe thru the masonary wall? Any ideas on how to get thru a poured concrete foundation?

Thanks for your help, last night I was tempted to sell the stove but, I am getting a second wind to install it. And yes I will burn the thing even if it is summer when I get it done.

Shawn a newbie

just snip it a and seal it, no sense and buying any more parts when you have the other half of the thimble laying around.
Yes, use two T's you would use the 3"-4" T on the stove.. and a 4"-4" T outside.
Core drilling is how you will get through the concrete.

We use Simpson Duravent Pellet Vent Pro (PVP). Works great, it is approved for pellet and corn burning.

Thanks everyone, As soon as I get everything in, I will take some pictures. Got some nice tile for the floor "pad and some nice tile for around the stove. I am also adding two recessed type "eyeball" lights to light up the stove area and make it an eye catching focal point. Thanks again Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.