Wall Thimble Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LI-Mini-Owner

Hearth Supporter
Nov 22, 2007
Long Island, NY
Hello - I'm getting new siding on my house in the fall, and I'm looking to replace my Wall Thimble and vent pipe. Straight out from the back of the stove, "T" with clean-out on the outside, and up 3'. My questions:

1. What brand thimble has a 2" OAK built in?

2. For the straight out section, should it pitch slightly upward from the stove, slightly downward, or level?

Thanks.

Any horizontal venting should have a 1/4" to 1/2" rise per foot.

And Simpson has a OAK installed in one of there Thimbles.

Have you looked into Selkirk DT pipe? OAK built in? If your gonna redo it all?

What brand of venting do you have now?

Reactions: smoke show
Any horizontal venting should have a 1/4" to 1/2" rise per foot.

And Simpson has a OAK installed in one of there Thimbles.

Have you looked into Selkirk DT pipe? OAK built in? If your gonna redo it all?

What brand of venting do you have now?
Dexter,I was gonna ask you how you got the pitch on your pipe from the basement....I'm gonna have almost your exact setup...Just made some nice stainless extensions for the tee support.Buying my stove tomorrow,,,Almost ready

Assuming you have 3" pipe, Dura Vent has this thimble that has OAK built-in: 3PVP-WTI

Includes 2" flex pipe that expands up to 5', and hose clamps.

Give Eric at Kinsman Stoves a call for it....he gives discounts to Hearth.com members.

Dexter,I was gonna ask you how you got the pitch on your pipe from the basement....I'm gonna have almost your exact setup...Just made some nice stainless extensions for the tee support.Buying my stove tomorrow,,,Almost ready

The pitch doesnt effect the pipe through the thimble at all.

You may think that the "angle" will prohibit it, but you cant tell at all. Just make sure you keep an "Up Bubble" on a level. But if you are going up and then out (lets say 4ft of horizontal) then you will need 1" rise from the 90° to the termination cap. You will hardly even notice.

The thimble hole is bigger than the vent and accommodates this angle..

You may think that the "angle" will prohibit it, but you cant tell at all. Just make sure you keep an "Up Bubble" on a level. But if you are going up and then out (lets say 4ft of horizontal) then you will need 1" rise from the 90° to the termination cap. You will hardly even notice.

OK,yeah one more question..The T section sits on the support bracket with the adapter piece facing downward.The T twists in on the bottom.I find it odd that the first vertical chimey section isn't locked in at all and resting on the t support.Is that what you had...I just am surprised at the way that's working out when everything else is twisted and clamped on the double wall.I have been playing around with it,I'm gonna install next week.just picked up my stove and this weekend i'm laying the tile on the slab...I'll post piics as it's coming along.Thanks for your advice by the way...i'm psyched to get this going,been dreaming about having a stove since I bought the house 6 years ago.I'm hoping to cut my propane bill way down!

I just find it weird on my tee that it's designed to sit on the bracket without locking in.the directions tell me to insert the adapter ring in my first section and install it onto the tee support then insert the bottom cap which locks in but doesn't do anything for the first section of pipe...Was your's this way,I know you bought the lowes stuff? I understand that this will help me accomodate the rise on the horizontal,but I'm un nerved that it's just resting on the support and the wall brackets are the only thing holding it in place,not that it's going to move but I think it's a weird design!I'm installing in a few days,can't wait...Gonna tile a 5x5 area tomorrow and grout monday...then gotta blow thru the block and get busy :)

All my venting twists together. All the vertical, Clean-out T, and Horizontal. That is, if its all Simpson?
So I am not really following?

Pics would help explain better.

Sounds like you are getting pretty close to completion. Keep it up

Brian.. This is a Woodstove? Correct?

This question is best asked in the Hearth Room. As the Thimbles, Pipe/Flue, and brackets (and everything else, including CTC's) are different in construction and design than a Pellet stove Thimble (which is the OP question above).

Just a thought, but starting a thread in the Hearth? Or even asking the question in your current thread? Would get answers from people with a set-up and pipe closer to your own. The Flue for a Pellet stove inst much different. But its enough to be mislead? IMHO

Brian.. This is a Woodstove? Correct?

This question is best asked in the Hearth Room. As the Thimbles, Pipe/Flue, and brackets (and everything else, including CTC's) are different in construction and design than a Pellet stove Thimble (which is the OP question above).

Just a thought, but starting a thread in the Hearth? Or even asking the question in your current thread? Would get answers from people with a set-up and pipe closer to your own. The Flue for a Pellet stove inst much different. But its enough to be mislead? IMHO
I realised that I was in the wrong forum after I posted LOL...Sorry.Still have some work to do before I get to the chimney but it's getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.