Wall thimble, to caulk or not to caulk?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
Philadelphia
Here's a question... I have the simpson duravent chimney and I'm happy burning. The other day in our lovely northeaster here I noticed there was a draft coming through the wall next to the class A where it goes through the wall thimble. It's not caulked, but it's more than a close enough fit that I didn't think it would be a problem. If I'm noticing a draft with my hand next to it, maybe it is a problem.

Do people caulk these or should I wrap it in aluminum tape? The manual makes no mention of either, the installation guide doesn't say to do one or the other so the manual seems to err on the side of "leave it alone". Thoughts?

Silicone caulk the exterior entry of the thimble and then the storm collar.

Status
Not open for further replies.