Wall Thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also how do you know that the joints are staggered? The head joints may be but it is very rare for the bed joints to be staggered

I'm simply not interested in being scared into paying thousands of dollars when I don't need to. Bholler, are you a chimney sweep or at all affiliated with the stove, chimney sales field? Do you have any qualifications as an expert? Have you any interest in people buying chimney liners?

I'm simply not interested in being scared into paying thousands of dollars when I don't need to. Bholler, are you a chimney sweep or at all affiliated with the stove, chimney sales field? Do you have any qualifications as an expert? Have you any interest in people buying chimney liners?
I am a Csia certified sweep and a member of the pa guild. But no i will in no way going to profit from you buying a liner. But according to my professional code of ethics i am obliged to tell you of potential safety issues i see with your chimney system. I don't mean to pick on you at all and honestly it is entirely up to you if you take my advice or not. But what i am telling you is based on years of experience and training not a few days of research on the internet. I am also not trying to scare you into anything that has never been my approach and i have never tried to sell a liner to someone that i didn't think really needed it.

So you do sell liners.

yes i do i am a sweep and there are many times that liners are needed but i dont just put liners in if they are not needed and i will in no way benefit from it if you buy a liner.

But you would benefit if more people thought their double brick chimneys were in need of liners when they are not.
I am not the one who has done the testing written the codes and requirements. As a pro i need to follow those requirements which say that chimneys need liners and a brick chimney unless it is lined with fire brick no matter how thick it is it does not meet the requirement. Now if i were to come out to your hose i would inspect the chimney and tell you it does not meet the current standard and could possibly pose some safety issues. And then i would give you a quote to fix it in order to bring it up to the current requirements. And yes i looked it up and new hampshire follows nfpa 211 and irc for their codes. I have never used scare tactics to sell anything i just present the homeowner with the issues that i see. But to answer your question yes if people stopped lining chimneys that need liners yes that would hurt my profits for sure

Sounds like this one has played itself out. Get it swept and inspected. Install the stove safely respecting the required 36" clearances from combustibles. Burn safely.

FWIW, bholler doesn't make any money from posting here. Making installations safer when he leaves the premises is his business.

Reactions: bholler
at a buddy o mines house we just shoved the twisted n clamped 6 id pipe rt up the chimney. Came out top a piece o sheet metal trim to fill sq hole and a cap on pipe . Wind type, I used a pipe clamp at vey top inside chimney trimmed to fit . And insert mounted to wall and one near the beginning of the run near stove tee. took all of 50 minutes. 2 ft past bricks well over peaks etc great draft easy sweeper too..

Status
Not open for further replies.