Wall to the side of the stove is hot to the touch - a problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tcforensic.com.au/docs/article10.html

Shows that 250 F is the lowest possible temperature to make wood break down (char)...and that is over LONG times of constant exposure - BUT, the same chart shows that the wood...once broken down....needs at least 150 Centigrade (over 300 F) to ignite.

The US Forest Service did some tests:
Those exposed to 120° C. for 1,235 days became appreciably embrittled, were of a dark chocolate color, and when moistened were strongly acid to litmus paper. Those exposed to 140° and 150° C. had the appearance and friability of charcoal even before they had lost 65 percent of weight at 6 to 8 percent moisture content....none ignited.......

The UL tests are done in a room with WALLS PAINTED BLACK. They are done using oven dried firebrands......a regular person simply cannot run their stove at this temperature for any length of time. I cannot imagine any user keeping their walls hot constantly for a couple years at a time as per the tests above.

I was conservative in my post above, suggesting that 160 degrees or so is WELL within the margin of safety - above and beyond UL. Every boiler and radiator and associated piping in MILLIONS of houses regularly has temperatures up to 200 degrees touching wood.

There is a point where "making sure" is not really making sure - no reason to have more than 4 tires on your car, although if you had 8 (4 x 2) you would have less cases of getting caught with a flat tire stopping your car.

In short, the tested clearances are very safe. There are caveats, though. Just because there is no danger of fire does not mean the varnish, paint, plastic (molding) and other stuff won't discolor or warp. That should be addressed on a case by case basis.

Corie said:
Craig is 100% correct. Please listen to him.

I always do. Rick

Empirical, experience-based......not belief. There is never "100% right".....even with the Boss.

JMNSHO

rgsccr said:
I have a just had a new Jotul Castine (F400) professionally installed. The is adequate clearance in all directions per the manual with no heat shields. Yesterday I burned the three break-in fires, and tonight I burned the stove for most of the evening to heat the house. I noticed that the wall that is closest to the stove - 14" - is hot to the touch. Should I be concerned, should I get heat shields? Thanks.

Hi there

I noticed alot of people speaking of heat shields... Heat sheilds are the answer!

Basically, this is the deal:

If your wall gets too hot to touch and would burn you if you did, then fit insulative heat shields, whereas if it is just very hot, but you could rest your fingers on it for two seconds without getting burnt then maybe its ok...

Hope this helps,

By The Fireside

Status
Not open for further replies.