1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Walnut Ash Cherry Elm Catalpa

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by ansehnlich1, Feb 24, 2013.

1. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    Ya, I been doin' a little stihl, fiskars, and maul work. I think the split/stacked stuff is around 15 cord, and there's probably around 3 or 4 cord layin' on the piles.

The Catalpa is to the far right of the little split pile. I don't really like burnin' it, but I turn bowls, and I hear it makes some decent turnin' wood, so I sawed it up and brought it in today.

The stacked stuff is oak in front 2 rows except the lighter stuff to the right The oak's been sittin' for 3 years, and there's walnut, ash, elm, and maybe a little cherry in the rest of the rows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bboulier, Thistle, Gasifier and 5 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ansehnlich1

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    And just for kicks, here's 2 walnut bowls I turned :)

[​IMG]
    bboulier, Thistle, ailanthus and 5 others like this.
  3. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Lookin' good, the stacks and the bowls. :cool:

What is the stuff in log form, in pic 4?
  4. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Very nice!
    Thistle and ScotO like this.
  5. ansehnlich1

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    I got walnut, ash, a little elm, and a little cherry in there. It's all stuff out of my woods here. I've been thinning some stuff out.

In the first pic, the tree with the birdhouse on it is elm, and there's an elm a couple trees to the right. Pretty much the rest of 'em are walnut, except for those cedars. I have lot's of walnut's, I'm thinning them out to allow for the nice straight ones to have plenty of room. My guess is probably a hundred walnuts on the property ranging from 8 to 20 inches diameter.
    Thistle and ScotO like this.
  6. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    beautiful stacks and beautiful bowls
    well done
  7. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton Member

Loc:
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    Whats the top cover?
  8. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    Lovely wood stacks and nice bowls()!
    I met a guy in Columbia County New York, near Chatham, that takes flat pieces of wood, boards and cookies, and steams them for quite a while, them bends them into bowls. Most different way I've ever seen to make bowls. Then there's the guy that makes wooden hats, I believe he also uses the steaming technique.
  9. ansehnlich1

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    I have rubber roofing material on top of the stacks. I first throw some plywood pieces on top, 2x4 footers spaced a couple feet apart. Then the rubber roofing, then mostly block. The plywood underneath gives a flat surface for the block to sit on. I throw some pallets on top too, you know, whatever I got to hold that rubber roofing down. Been doin' it this way for 6 years. No wood shed, likely won't build one. I can get a good cord or two on the back porch too :)

[​IMG]
    Thistle, Gasifier and ScotO like this.
  10. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Awesome looking stacks and nice looking place you have there ansehnlich! How far ahead does the 15+ cord put you?
    ScotO likes this.
  11. WeldrDave

WeldrDave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Just one thing to say, WOW;ex.....
  12. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'm with you on the rubber roofing for the stacks.....that's all I'll ever use again on the stacks (except for when I build a shed, but it'll probably have a rubber roof too!). Beautiful bowls.....how do you prep the wood before turning it? Do you microwave it? I have a lathe and I'd like to try turning a bowl or two, but was curious how you prep the wood to keep it from splitting after you make the bowl......
  13. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I wish I had that kind of room for my wood and wood operation. Beautiful place.
    n3pro, ScotO and WeldrDave like this.
  14. WeldrDave

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Yea me too! his wood pile is almost as big as my whole yard!!!, What very nice set up:cool:
    n3pro likes this.
  15. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Yeah, I too would love to have a bigger property......
  16. ansehnlich1

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    Blue2ndaries, I think I have enough wood around here for 3 years. I'll probably buy a triaxle load of oak next spring, just for fun :)

ScottyOverkill, the one thing I do for bowl blanks is keep my eye open for splits/chunks that have already seasoned and have not split open and/or checked. Chunk wood never goes past me without taking a good look at it's bowl makin' capabilities. My other trick is to turn the bowl thick, like over a half inch or more, wax it good, then put it in a sealed bag in the basement for several months, then bring it back up onto the lathe after all that and turn it down/finish it off. That way if it warps I got a chance to straighten it out the second go around. That bowl on the right ain't finished off nice, it just has a coat of paste wax on it....I can finish sand it later and put a nice finish on it then.

For the rest of ya, thanks for all the kind words. I am indeed a lucky man and have plenty of room for doin' stuff around here. You think my property looks good, you should see my wife ;)

And just for kicks, here's a couple more pics for you....

Our house,

[​IMG]

The Ford....

[​IMG]

The Splitter, 3 pt.

[​IMG]
    tfdchief, n3pro and Blue2ndaries like this.
  17. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Okay...officially jealous ;em...Nice place and setup!
  18. Gark

Gark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    'Slottawood! Very nice collection and great pictures. Good job!
  19. FireBones

FireBones Member

Loc:
    Norfolk County Ontario
    Beauty thread and spread!!! Those stacks are sweet! Has to be a great feeling having all that heat ready to go!!
  20. ansehnlich1

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    thank ya FireBones, If you look at those pics you'll see the brown spots where the stacks were of what got burned this winter! Plus a bit more that I seeded with grass before the cold weather set in. I burn a lot of wood eh?
  21. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Good work with all that wood put up ansehnlich1. Place looks great as well.
  22. WeldrDave

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Very nice! anserhnlich1.... Hey you got wind power too? Do I see a wind mill/generator in the back or a neibhors? I did a lot of research on that topic.==c
  23. ansehnlich1

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    There's a road on the other side of that barn (which is on my dads property) and that windmill is across the road at a neighbor's place. The windmill has not operated for years. I think the rotor went out on it and he said it was too costly to replace. However, when it was running she really did put out as we are on some high ground here.
  24. WeldrDave

Loc:
    New Jersey
    That would be "SWEET";ex the best of both worlds..... I considered one on my property down here at the shore, "looked very hard" at it. I was a lab instructor at the CG academy and studied water and wind turbines extensivley. I only live on a 1/3 of an acre, between the bird lovers wanting to stop it, "I don't have a problem with, HUGE bird sanctuaries here" and permits $$$$$$, then a planning board:rolleyes: , then noise impact to the neighborhood study:mad:$$$ that I would have to pay for... it just wasn't worth it! I was looking at about $125.000 said and done. Thats a lot of electric bills. You have a great and beautiful place up there.:cool:
  25. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    That's beautiful my southern neighbor. My .21 acres is being gulped up by my 4 1/2 cords of wood and the house. When I moved here before being a wood burner I didn't want too much grass to mow, well I every year I get more ahead on wood which in turn means I soon won't have any grass in the back to mow but now I'm running out of yard instead of wood.