Walnut Day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen in SoKY

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Southern Kentucky
Well crap. I was going to split/stack this last Red Oak and call it quits for the year:

walnutlogs005.jpg

walnutlogs006.jpg

But my Walnut buyer and his loader are going to be 3 miles away next week so I took out 2 that were essentially ready to go since he was so close:

walnutlogs008.jpg

And I wound up yarding far more walnut tops than I really want to fool with given that we're already having low eighty degree weather:

walnutlogs003.jpg

walnutlogs004.jpg

Since I have the FEL on for loading the walnut onto my trailer I went ahead and pushed all the tops back into the river bank & out of the way of my crop tennants:

walnutlogs001.jpg

walnutlogs010.jpg

walnutlogs009.jpg

walnutlogs011.jpg

Looks as though I'll be working up wood in the cool early morning hours whether I had planned to or not! Yes, I realize I need to replace a boatload of plank fence. I've been concentrating on the fences you can see from the road & I've let the back ones get ratty.

Nice pile of wood! There'll be time for the fences later, gotta get that wood split up and seasoning. Time's a wastin'!

Never call it quits Stephen!

I yarded a 28 footer this morning. I'm trying to convince myself to go back down and drag out the top for splitting. Obviously break time is winning.

Break time comes here quite often and they are not 10 minute breaks either!

UPDATE: Been a pretty good day. Buyer came and I sold 688 bf (Doyle) of butt logs, 4 logs total. Declined his offer on another 550 bf of seconds that I'm exploring options on. If nothing else I'll have the best band sawed and sticker it for a few years & sell as lumber. The remnants will get bucked & split.

Failed to take photos of the first load but here's the second load:

walnutlogs012.jpg

walnutlogs014.jpg

And the loader my best friend had about 3 miles away from my house:

walnutlogs015.jpg

Mine are the 4 biggest walnut logs on the load:

walnutlogs016.jpg

Now that will make some pretty lumber for sure. Nice going.

Status
Not open for further replies.