Walnut that will not make it to the fire place!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
41X20X 2-1/2

Attachments

• walnut1.jpg
    walnut1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 674
  • walnut 2.jpg
    walnut 2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 688
  • walnut3.jpg
    walnut3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 693
+1 Now thats what I'm talkin' about! :coolsmile:

not another table. what's this for? Dry bar? or maybe a coffee table.

This is my first board every for sale.....

Nice slab. Was it milled with your chain saw mill? Did you run it through a planer ? I see you got a bid on it already. Good luck.
Will

Willman said:
Nice slab. Was it milled with your chain saw mill? Did you run it through a planer ? I see you got a bid on it already. Good luck.
Will

Yes chainsaw. Hand planed and sanded. Not many planners out there that wide. I have some black walnut that will go 25inch wide 8 foot long and 3 inchs thick. Those will be bar tops and fire place mantels.

smokinjay said:
Willman said:
Will

Yes chainsaw. Hand planed and sanded. Not many planners out there that wide. I have some black walnut that will go 25inch wide 8 foot long and 3 inchs thick. Those will be bar tops and fire place mantels.

I have a 24" Yates. There should be a sawmill somewhere that could plane 20 inches.

Dune said:
smokinjay said:
Willman said:
Will

I have a 24" Yates. There should be a sawmill somewhere that could plane 20 inches.

There maybe, but growing up in a cabinet shop I make pretty quick work of it. That slab busted down to 180 grit both sides 3 hours.

It makes really nice furniture. Same Tree.

Attachments

• ottoman.jpg
    ottoman.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 529
Talk about beautiful slab wood! Man that is some pretty wood grain! I sometimes think that some of the best looking oak I have seen has been burned in my woodstove..

Ray

I think the same thing sometimes.

MMaul said:
I think the same thing sometimes.

Its an awesome slab. Next bar tops and mantels. +2 some really nice pieces have come off the splitter. Todd is grabing scraps and making fire place benchs off the same log.

That will look nice, I still have about 9 3-4 foot trunk section of walnut at my house I need to

MMaul said:
That will look nice, I still have about 9 3-4 foot trunk section of walnut at my house I need to

Everything I have outside is frozen soild to the ground...

my trunks are on pallets I bet I can remove them. you need them?

This sort of thing makes me want to invest in one of those chainsaw home sawmills and start making tables or something. I have some nice trees on my lot, some trunks in the 18-24" range...make some nice planks and put them together to make a tabletop. How cool would that be to have a table I made myself out of trees from my own yard?

Or to make my own 6x6 building frame posts for a wood shed or garage or whatever?

Looks great Jay!

I haven't sold anything on the bay. But can you expand your listing by adding bar top, mantel, etc?

Billy

Don't burn tomorrows furniture today!

Hey Smoke'n - question for you

I recently built some stairs in the house and have not put on finish treds and risers yet. After a lot of grading in the yard, it looks like I'll be loosing several large black walnut trees. I'm wondering if I should use that wood as my stair finish. In your experience - what might be the best way to make this happen:

Cut and take logs to the mill and have them cut and kiln dry

Have someone with a portable mill come to the site?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Cowboy Billy said:
Looks great Jay!

I haven't sold anything on the bay. But can you expand your listing by adding bar top, mantel, etc?

Billy

Yes Billy, I tryed to milling Tuesday I have a really nice long black walnut. I landed on my back hard pulling on that peavy..lol
Also be doing buther blocks, rolling pins, lath blanks,mantel, bar tops and Guitar blanks.

offroadaudio said:
Don't burn tomorrows furniture today!

Hey Smoke'n - question for you

I recently built some stairs in the house and have not put on finish treds and risers yet. After a lot of grading in the yard, it looks like I'll be loosing several large black walnut trees. I'm wondering if I should use that wood as my stair finish. In your experience - what might be the best way to make this happen:

Cut and take logs to the mill and have them cut and kiln dry

Have someone with a portable mill come to the site?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Depends on how quick you need them?

Well we've been using the sub treds for about a year now - so what's another year right!?
I assume your point is, the mill could kiln dry in 30 days
If it's milled on site and stacked - we're talking a year or so?

offroadaudio said:
Well we've been using the sub treds for about a year now - so what's another year right!?
I assume your point is, the mill could kiln dry in 30 days
If it's milled on site and stacked - we're talking a year or so?

For stairs if you milled it at 2-1/4 inchs cut your treads out and wax the ends good(melted candle wax) I would place them right away. I would also use a finnish wax on the flat surface for a couple years. Then you could strip it easy and do something else later.

Ouch! That will really jar ya. I broke my peavy last fall and ended up taking three steps back and ended up on my butt.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Ouch! That will really jar ya. I broke my peavy last fall and ended up taking three steps back and ended up on my butt.

Billy

Yea I seen that handle bending a little the the hook rip the bark off. That 3 step thing you got a sec. to think before you see the stars.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.