walnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red oak

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2011
northwest Virginia
As a result of the major storm over the weekend, I have a rather large walnut tree to cut up on my mother's property. I've never burned walnut before. Would 2 years be long enough for the wood to season? Is it wood that is meant for shoulder season or the middle of winter? Thanks!

Its medium wood. Two years is more than enough in the right conditions. 1 yr in favorable conditions.

Walnut is about right in the middle of the BTU chart. Its a great all-around wood, get it split up now into small/medium splits and it MAY be ready for later this winter. Smells great burning, too!

I cut some about 2 months ago and it has already dried a considerable amount. Feels much lighter than it did. I will burn it this winter. I think it will be ready along with a bunch of cherry I cut 4 weeks prior.

Reactions: ScotO
As a result of the major storm over the weekend, I have a rather large walnut tree to cut up on my mother's property. I've never burned walnut before. Would 2 years be long enough for the wood to season? Is it wood that is meant for shoulder season or the middle of winter? Thanks!
Two years covered is plenty for walnut. I burn it during the day when I'm home, good heat little ash.

Do you have any wood shops near you? If it is straight enough and big enough someone may pay you for it.
Most don't like yard trees though (metal).
It could be worth a phone call, you never know.

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
Almost every tree on my property is Walnut, and it's wonderful to cut, split, and burn. It splits cleanly and easily with a maul, and as already mentioned, smells great. Also, very easy to identify in your stacks, when you're pulling splits to burn a year from now.

1 year is plenty for walnut. Cut/split/stack and burn it next winter.

Reactions: Danno77 and Thistle
Do you have any wood shops near you? If it is straight enough and big enough someone may pay you for it.
Most don't like yard trees though (metal).
It could be worth a phone call, you never know.

That is a good idea - I didn't think about that. So when I went up to look at it this morning it wasn't as large as I thought (I was thinking of another walnut on her property) - the diameter is about 14 inches but there is a straight section of about 20 feet. I don't know if that's large enough for lumber or not. I felled the tree and cut away the limbs and brush. I'll leave the rest until I hear from a neighbor who runs a sawmill. Worst-case scenario is I have a bit more wood for next winter.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Ask around if there's any woodturners or carvers/sculptors locally.They are usually looking for short thick slabs/blocks for various projects.Some who own chainsaws will sometimes pay a decent price for nice material.Even straight clear rounds 12" -14" diameter cut to 2'-3' lengths is right up their alley.Cut as many straight pieces out of the trunk,larger limbs as possible.Keeping crooked/split pieces and ones with large knots for fuel.Crotch pieces of decent size are in demand for turned bowls however,smaller pieces for knife handles,pistol grips etc.

Hey there, red oak! Looks like we'll both be dealing with some walnut. You'll see what I mean next time you're here :(
I did burn some last year & I'm suprised you haven't come across any before. I'm sure you'll enjoy working with it.

Hey there, red oak! Looks like we'll both be dealing with some walnut. You'll see what I mean next time you're here :(
I did burn some last year & I'm suprised you haven't come across any before. I'm sure you'll enjoy working with it.

Yes Ailanthus I saw your post earlier - sorry to hear about that walnut tree. Hopefully some of it can fill in and still provide some shade at least. The one I'm working with is not nearly as big as yours though. I'm hearing good things about burning walnut so hopefully it will be a good addition to our stacks.

bark doesnt fall off walnut real easy...but it very well may after 2 years...ive got a bit of walnut stacked but its only been stacked for about 6 months

Walnut is an excellent firewood.. ! I feel its underated, burns very hot .

Looks pretty in the stack too.

Red Oak,
I'm sure that you will get great results with that walnut once it is ready. I sure hope so, because the stack in this picture is 1/2 walnut that was CSS last Thanksgiving.
Take care,
Tim DSCF2908.JPG

Who hit the stacked walnut with a snowball ?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
These stacks are so beautiful they look as if they've been painted.
Rideau,
Yeah, I catch a lot of flank about being fussy about the stacks, but what the heck, I love doing the work. Thought you might want to see the same stack 10 months later. Here it is.
Take care,
Tim
DSCF3324.JPG

Come visit anytime you like. I can keep you entertained . All joking aside, those are IMPRESSIVE stacks. How many cords do you have there?

Rideau,
Aprox. 9 cord. All hand split and all scrounged from tree services around here. When it gets to be too much for me, I might look at a hydraulic splitter, but not now, I'm only 66 years young. And by the way, no stove yet!
Take care,
Tim

Rideau,
Aprox. 9 cord. All hand split and all scrounged from tree services around here. When it gets to be too much for me, I might look at a hydraulic splitter, but not now, I'm only 66 years young. And by the way, no stove yet!
Take care,
Tim

But soon to change!

Status
Not open for further replies.