Wanna talk chainsaws ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience with electric chainsaws... Every tool has it's place!

I also have one of those Remington Pole saws and I must admit I was impressed with what that tiny little thing has to offer. I would never attempt to cut a cord of wood with it, but it has it's place in the shed.

Years ago when I worked at the local sawmill we had to cut the 18' rough cuts in half before we edged them(removed the rough bark making it a square board). An example of the reason why we did this is because you could get 1 1"X10"X10' & 1 1"X6"X8' because of the natural size of the log over the 18' span. In the end more board feet were produced in the desired lengths. The same went for larger lengths, ect. Anyways we had a bunch of Huskies in the mill, some brand new and some old. There was a 55, 272, 254, 257, 242, 246...I can't remember them all. These saws were heavily used to just cut 1" boards of Oak and Pine. But it required long idle times and continuous starting/stopping of the saws. I can't remember how many pull cords we replaced. Well, over the course of 3 years EVERY single one of these saws DIED!! Some were rebuilt, but in the end they ALL terminally failed. Then the day came when we replaced all of those saws with 1 Stihl Electric. Add oil, plug in the cord and away we went. To my knowledge, this saw is still being used today. It fit it's job perfectly!!

Rumme, I hope your saw suits your purpose. It could never suit mine, but that doesn't make it a bad saw.

P.S.--$39!!!! Do they have anymore??

yes, it perfect for 90% of my cutting needs, because I have acces to thousands of cedar posts that are 8 ft long . I load these posts up in my truck, about 75 at a time, and then haul them to my backyard, where a electrical outlet is only 20 ft away......

I think many people have to act "macho" and just mock electric chainsaw, some of these people probably never even tried a good electric chainsaw, so they just follow the crowd that goes around mocking them.,

Im just glad I was open minded enough to try one, after reading the postive reviews on the model I purchased . For my needs, it blows away a gas chainsaw....and their really isnt any mainteneance other then adding bar chain oil, or adjusting the chain....cant say that for a gas chainsaw ...

there arent anymore left for $39.....I found the last one at that price, and the funny thing is, I was getting ready to purchase one of ebay for $119 shipped, when I lucked upon this one for $39 new...

another thing I like about the electric, is if it malfunctions, its generally gonna be something simple, like a bad connection/ wire or worn brushes....and both of these problems are easily diagnosed/ fixed for me.....

with a gas chainsaw, you have literally dozens of problems that could arise, that would cause it to not run, or run poorly...

my electric may cut a little slower then a 45 c.c gas chainsaw, but the time I lose their, is time gained by me not needing to stop and refuel when the gas runs out, or restart the chainsaw, or pull on it dozens of times if it floods, etc,etc...

in fact, Id have to say a electric chainsaw would also be the perfect choice to teach a younger teenager or woman how to cut wood, and to get them invovled in the whole wood cutting/ saving process...

I was well aware that there would be a few snied remarks about using an electric chainsaw, but I figured if my post just helps one person , then its worth it...

once again, I did order a craftsman 36 c.c gas chainsaw as a backup...but that will only be seeing use if I need to travel away from my property for cutting...and quite honestly, if that doesnt run good, I will give up on gas chainsaw all together, and just be prepared to take along a 2,000 watt generator and my electric, if I ever have to go onto someone elsee property to cut wood.

That's cool; electric sure is fine for close proximity to the house and such. I have an electric sitting around as well but don't use it much, if at all because I venture off to remote parts for the bounty....................

I'm glad you found a solution that works well for oyu, and its quite economical too.

Whats bugs me though is the issues you had with your Husy that made you get rid of it in the first place. You're talking about 15 minutes on a tank of gas and/or bar and chain oil fill; doggy engine performance; poor enough performance that you're outcutting it with a relatively small electric saw. I'm thinking that was a bad saw or the carb was shot or you running almost too rich to even fire or something. Just curious what efforts you put into making the gas saw operate properly. My guess is someone who picks it up from the pawn shop is going to get a nice saw for not a lot of money.

Also, where are you getting these cedar posts in such quantities?

Status
Not open for further replies.