Want solid doors cause I cracked the glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raygard

Nov 5, 2011
Columbia, MD
Hey Folks,
Long time since I posted. So long I forgot my username and password and had to re-register. Such is life. Anyway I posted the below in another thread and need to take it a step further; here is what I posted

My FIL brought a whole stack load of wood pallets around yesterday and I zipped them up with the circular saw. Lit my first fire of the winter season last night in my VC Encore, and promptly cracked a glass door (I had just tighten the inside screws as it was leaking a little last season). But the pine got hot real quick.

Yep, a nice big crack across the left side glass door. $90 to buy another slab of glass (nay clear ceramic from another thread I was reading last night) from black swan home. Yet my question, I suppose, is that I am not really concerned with looking at the fire so much as the heat it produces. Therefore, does anyone know where you can buy solid doors for a Vermont Castings Encore #2550 (Cat)?

Thanks, and it's good to be back.

Ray

sorry, have a vc i'm not using but has the glass. anyway you could replace the glass area with metal? just wondering.

cass

$90 doesn't seem that bad a deal. Did you also try a good local glass shop? If not, call around and ask if they sell Neoceram or Robax stove glass. If no luck locally, price it out here: www.onedayglass.com.

Funny you should say that Begreen, I was checking out the last cracked glass thread and read your reply on onedayglass and read their website. Ultimately, I looked at www.blackswanhome.com, yet the glass pains me. I have thought about tcassavaugh's post yet in another thread some mentioned something about warping. Has anyone tried this at all?

Wouldn't that be kind of like subscribing to the naughty movie channel, then not watching the picture?

I can't imagine that you'd ever be able to find solid doors made to fit the stove. Who would manufacture them...and why? Replacing the ceramic windows with solid steel is certainly possible, I s'pose, but I can't imagine that it would be cheap. I don't know for sure, but I doubt that there's a more economical solution than simply replacing the ceramic. Rick

rayg said:
Hey Folks,
Long time since I posted. So long I forgot my username and password and had to re-register. Such is life. Anyway I posted the below in another thread and need to take it a step further; here is what I posted

My FIL brought a whole stack load of wood pallets around yesterday and I zipped them up with the circular saw. Lit my first fire of the winter season last night in my VC Encore, and promptly cracked a glass door (I had just tighten the inside screws as it was leaking a little last season). But the pine got hot real quick.

Yep, a nice big crack across the left side glass door. $90 to buy another slab of glass (nay clear ceramic from another thread I was reading last night) from black swan home. Yet my question, I suppose, is that I am not really concerned with looking at the fire so much as the heat it produces. Therefore, does anyone know where you can buy solid doors for a Vermont Castings Encore #2550 (Cat)?

Thanks, and it's good to be back.

Ray

Welcome back Ray take a look here: http://www.onedayglass.com/index.php

Ray

Which allows a better transfer of heat, glass or steel? I'm with Dan, I couldn't imagine not viewing the fire. I like not only the view, but not having to open the door to see if more wood is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.