Want to add some airpower to my stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Srbenda

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2009
PA Horse Country
In our sunroom, I've got this nice little Vermont Castings Intrepid II, for the small size, it still puts out a pretty good amount of heat, but only ambiently.
I have gotten the stove temps to about 550F, and it does warm the room nicely.

However, I think I would rather have some type of blower/fan that will help pull more heat off of the stove. I tried a small 12" fan, placed next to the stove, but it was just too much air.

Is this a bad idea to try and blow heat off of a stove not designed for it? Should I just get a small/lower speed fan?

Or just enjoy the silence?

21intr.jpg

Putting a fan next to a stove is near useless. Put the fan away from the stove blowing toward it for good effect.

If trying to spread heat to other rooms, put it on the floor in the doorway of the room you want to heat, blowing towards the stove. This will pull the cold denser air out of the cold room, allowing hot air to flow from the stove into the cold room. Works extremely well, lowest speed on the fan is usualy sufficient. Fan size doesn't much matter, 12 inch or so is fine.

Dune is right. Just be sure to use a small desktop fan and run it on low speed. You may be amazed at the difference this makes. But do not try to use a pedestal fan as that will not work as well as a small desk fan.

Dune said:
Putting a fan next to a stove is near useless. Put the fan away from the stove blowing toward it for good effect.

If trying to spread heat to other rooms, put it on the floor in the doorway of the room you want to heat, blowing towards the stove. This will pull the cold denser air out of the cold room, allowing hot air to flow from the stove into the cold room. Works extremely well, lowest speed on the fan is usualy sufficient. Fan size doesn't much matter, 12 inch or so is fine.

Very good. I will try it tonight.
I just want to try and create some more airflow over the stove surfaces.

Personally, I would not want my house to look like an appliance repair shop with fans all over the place. The wife and I also hate the sight of power cords and go to great lengths to avoid and/or hide them. Noise is also high on the hate list.

If you just want to quietly move a little air wirelessly and aesthetically, look into placing an ecofan on the stove.

LLigetfa, perhaps you are overplaying that a little bit. One little desktop fan should not bother anyone and it sure as blazes would not look like an appliance store. As for the ECO fans, you can have them all as they are just a novelty. Well, I guess a few like them but we tried them and not enough air is moved to amount to much at all. In addition, it has been proven over and over how much better the method is of sitting a fan in a hallway or doorway blowing cool air in and in effect, warming the rear of the house. Plain and simple: it works. We'll let you use your ecofan; just don't blow off what works.

I am sold on blowing the cool air TO the stove. It works for me.

KC

We recently got an air purifier that sits on the floor. I have it sitting on the floor in the living room blowing into the stove room on low speed. It's not really big enough for the whole house, but has really helped with a chronic cough I've had since moving here.
It moves the warm air out of the stove room and all the way to the other end of the house, and also cleans the air we're breathing (we live on a gravel road and can't seem to ever get rid of all the dust). Win, win.

I also have to agree with moving the colder air towards the stove room. I spend all last winter trying to heat the back of our 1500 sqft home by trying to push the warm air. Once I learned about pushing the cold air, I was sold. Total difference! We use a small box fan positioned in the back hallway and pointed towards the stove room. Have fun experimenting

Backwoods Savage said:
don't blow off what works.
No need to get your knickers in a twist. Just stating a personal preference. Some folk don't mind wires and fans about. Whatever works for you.

Backwoods Savage said:
We'll let you use your ecofan;
I don't use an ecofan. I have a 650 CFM blower down in the crawlspace.

The OP said he tried a 12 inch fan and said it was too much. Maybe the ecofan would be Goldielocks. Don't blow off what works for other folk just cuz it doesn't work for you. Search this forum for ecofan and you will find a lot of folks that are happy with them.

LLigetfa said:
Personally, I would not want my house to look like an appliance repair shop with fans all over the place. The wife and I also hate the sight of power cords and go to great lengths to avoid and/or hide them. Noise is also high on the hate list.

If you just want to quietly move a little air wirelessly and aesthetically, look into placing an ecofan on the stove.

And you like dirty wood in the house?

Actually I kinda agree. That's why some have installed through wall fans and use ceiling fans. Right now I use ceiling fans and fans sitting on the floor.

Are you only heating the sun room or trying to pull heat in the house? If you don't have one I'd try a ceiling fan and run it backwards in the winter. They get the air moving around the room pretty good.

woodmiser said:
And you like dirty wood in the house?
No, I don't but I put up with it and sweep up around the hearth often.

When I designed and built my home I gave careful consideration to the locations of the outlets so that very few cords would be visible. I hated that code requires an outlet every 12 feet and that I had to place some outlets where I didn't want to deface the wall but you won't find anything plugged into those. We did a good job of hiding cold air return registers as well.

rwhite said:
Are you only heating the sun room or trying to pull heat in the house? If you don't have one I'd try a ceiling fan and run it backwards in the winter. They get the air moving around the room pretty good.

Really just trying to heat the sunroom better. I have gas heat in the rest of the house, and a massive Fisher woodstove in the basement. However, if I can move some heat from the sunroom into the main house, that's fine too. I didn't light a fire the other night, but I will soon, and will try the fan towards the stove from the door.

+ whatever to the "fan trick" -- it will move some of the heated air out of the room with the stove to the rest of the house . . . the room with the stove will still be notably warmer, but the adjoining rooms will also be warmer as well . . . the further away you go from the stove, the cooler it will be . . . but there is a difference with the fan on and the fan off.

Status
Not open for further replies.