Want to get the second chainsaw, wich one to get.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The OP mentioned cutting needs of 5-6 cords/ year, and much from wood scrounges so decision might be based on typical size encountered. If smaller diameter wood, I'd be very satisfied with MS 261 (lightweight Pro saw at 50cc).
Test run some larger saws to see if it's really what you need.
I agree with Medic, that the M-Tronic saw performance is excellent. The MS 462 is almost 3 lbs heavier than my MS 260, but is very well balanced and with good ergonomics and is a pleasure to run (even at my age of 50+). In past I never would have considered purchase of 70cc saw, but the new Stihl saws with their great power-to-weight ratio changed that, and took MS 362 out of consideration.
Stihl also has a new offering, the 67cc MS 400 (with magnesium piston) that might be worth considering. It has the same power-to-weight as MS 462 - 1.4 kg/ kW, and about half pound lighter than the 462).

I'm late to the party here but I would agree with a few of the previous posts. If you get a 562, I'd sell what you have. I had a 562 for a few years and it was outstanding. I only sold it because I grabbed a 500i and it was a lot more saw at almost the same weight. Alternatively, the above suggestion of a 261 C-M is a great one. It's supposed to have the best power to weight ratio of any pro saw and I'm considering adding one to my lineup. Whatever you do, if you intend to keep two saws, as suggested earlier, make them very different from each other so both have a distinct purpose. I'm currently at 3 saws and all three get used for very different things. My battery T540 is used for small limbing, brush cutting, trail clearing and sits next to the chipper when cleaning up brush piles. My gas T540 gets used for dropping and limbing small threes. The 500i does all the heavy lifting carrying either a 20" or 28" bar. I do think a 261 C-M with a 16" bar would fill a gap between the gas 540 and the 500 BUT I'm not completely sold on the cost of admission...

Did you buy one OP? I have a 372 but gets heavy after awhile, my second saw's going to be a battery saw, just not sure which on, that way if I have a small amount to cut up it's super easy to just grab it and cut.

Reactions: Solarguy3500
Me, I like old school Stihl's. Have a 45 year old 028 and a 40 year old 075 with 404 skip tooth for the big stuff. and a toss away saw that never gets tossed, a 100 buck Tanaka top handle that just keeps on running. My 028 has been modded and it's all alloy, no plastic except the shroud. Not fond on the new Stihl's, the noise police have really castrated the new ones.

I do use Stihl oil (pre measured bottles with stabilizer) and Stihl bar oil.

Me, I like old school Stihl's. Have a 45 year old 028 and a 40 year old 075 with 404 skip tooth for the big stuff. and a toss away saw that never gets tossed, a 100 buck Tanaka top handle that just keeps on running. My 028 has been modded and it's all alloy, no plastic except the shroud. Not fond on the new Stihl's, the noise police have really castrated the new ones.

I do use Stihl oil (pre measured bottles with stabilizer) and Stihl bar oil.
Bark Box man.

Just wear ear plugs. Harbor Freight has them, 100 pair for 5 bucks. The 075 sounds like a moto cross bike...

Did you buy one OP? I have a 372 but gets heavy after awhile, my second saw's going to be a battery saw, just not sure which on, that way if I have a small amount to cut up it's super easy to just grab it and cut.
I ended up getting 562 XP since 550 was not on sale anymore. Got it for $650 cash total with X cut chain and 24-inch bar.
Did not run it at full since still on the second tank of gas, so can't fully compare it to 460. But it really smooth running and pretty looking.
Probably will keep Rancher 460. Don't want to give away a perfect saw for $300 or so. That's what I see pricewise on the Facebook marketplace.
It was actually handy to have 2 saws. The other days I was cutting load with a full chisel on 562 for clean wood and semi-chisel for dirty wood. Hit the nail 3/4 through with a full chisel but was still able to get it done with 460 being avalible.