want to identify this fragrant wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dicon77

Oct 16, 2008
NE Pennsylvania
Good morning all. I have been burning my new stove for 1 month now. Thrilled with it - QuadraFire. I live in northeast Pennsylvania and buy cord wood from someone locally. He gives me "a mix," which I guess is the way it goes.

Every so often some type of wood goes in there that smells great. Wow; to me it's just awesome and I can't believe how my house smells from it. It's heaven.

I can only say that it smell like incense. Any ideas on what tree this is and what the wood itself would look like so I can identify that in my stack?

I'm tellin' ya, it puts those import stores to shame :)

Jodi

dicon77 said:
Good morning all. I have been burning my new stove for 1 month now. Thrilled with it - QuadraFire. I live in northeast Pennsylvania and buy cord wood from someone locally. He gives me "a mix," which I guess is the way it goes.

Every so often some type of wood goes in there that smells great. Wow; to me it's just awesome and I can't believe how my house smells from it. It's heaven.

I can only say that it smell like incense. Any ideas on what tree this is and what the wood itself would look like so I can identify that in my stack?

Jodi
the best smelling wood i can think of is cherry

dicon77 said:

Jodi

We would need a little more to go on than your description of it smelling "great" and like "incense." Since most of us here are guys pictures work pretty well.

Personally, I'm rather partial to white cedar . . . burns rather quickly though so I mostly use it for start up fires, kindling, etc.

Sorry, there's no more to go on. I posted what I know. If I knew which piece of wood was going to be fragrant when I throw it in there, I'd be able to identify it -- neighbor, kids, image search . . .

Lots of variables to deal with, but it could be Cherry, Black "Cherry" Birch, Apple, Sassafras, and probably a few others.

Shag bark hickory is pretty fragrant too but that and cherry are pretty easily ID'd so I dunno. Apple is pretty easily camouflaged so I'm going with that.

Ask the guy who sold it to you; he could narrow it down for you if not tell you exactly what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.