want to replace old yucky gas fireplace with brick masonry hearth fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

latvy

Oct 6, 2007
Hello! My husband and I just purchased an 11yo house that has a 14X17' vaulted room off the back. It has a poor quality gas fireplace in it, but we desperately want to put ] brick hearth fireplace in its place. Did we mention we are wood purists? There is crawl space under the room, and two small windows above the mantel - we are getting prices all over the place. We live in Loudoun County, VA, and would love to hear from some wise, knowledgeable men who could tell us more about it - maybe even some that are in our area! Any estimates? I know that can be hard to do...

Well from my wood-biased point of view, congratulations. certainly sounds doable, folk far more knowledgable than I will be along to help you. Welcome!

You could install a really nice wood stove and Class A chimney for a lot less than building a masonry fireplace and chimney. Even if you weren't in Loudoun County. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if estimates to build that pup weren't in the twelve thousand dollar range in that neck of the woods for full masonry. Contractors hear Loudoun and dollar signs light up in their eyes.

Pictures of the current setup would really help.

Footnote: For those that don't know that has been the fastest growing county in the U.S. for several years.

We attached a picture of the current gas fireplace. Will a woodstove require a footer/support in the crawl space under the room in order to support it? Also, since the sunroom's roofline is well below that of the main house, will the chimney have to be extended really high to avoid any down draft issues? What kind of cost estimate could you give for a wood stove with the chimney you mentioned?

Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it! We did get one estimate in the $10 - 12K range for a wood burning firebox with a masonry chimney, but that is definitely out of our price range.

Attachments

• DSCN2013.JPG
    DSCN2013.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 377
from you picture you would have to loose both middle windows for a chimney to pass outside. You also need a substantial footing and the bump out you have is not framed or setup to support the weight of a brick chimney that would have to be removed there will be quite a bit of framing also involved

what you have is a direct vent gas fireplace setup only for that purpose a brick chimney and fireplace would be a major prodject

A free standing wood stove will be much less costly (notice I didnt say cheaper )

Will a woodstove require a footer/support in the crawl space under the room in order to support it?
not nearly as elaborate as a masonry fireplace If needed at all. Depends on whats under there now and what you plan on doing for floor and wall protection.

will the chimney have to be extended really high to avoid any down draft issues?
Only if you are within 10 feet of the wall or roof of the second story. If you are you will have to be 2 feet above any point within 10 feet.

What kind of cost estimate could you give for a wood stove with the chimney you mentioned?
Depends on the stove you pick out, the hearth materials, and how high you have to go.
I just installed a Quad 4300ST which was 2K the hearth ( cultured stone )was about 1k and the stack was about 1500. So in yor case (with all the tear out and outside work) and contracting it out it could easily be 7K but could be as low as 5

I wonder that stainless steel chimney would look like threw those windows it would pass by

If it stayed inside it could be black double wall straight up through the roof and draft better then going outside.

elkimmeg said:
I wonder that stainless steel chimney would look like threw those windows it would pass by

I am thinking hi-temp paint with some birds and clouds painted on it. :coolsmirk:

I probably wouldn't go through the wall at all. Instead I'd replace the gas unit with wall, extend the size of the existing hearth (maybe make it raised) and build a rear wall NFPA clearance reduction style where the gas unit was, and use a top vent wood stove w/ the pipe going straight up to a roof passthrough to the Class A.

It would look better from the outside, and I think could be done up real nice on the inside w/ either a brick facing or fake stone.

Gooserider

Goose how would deal this the top of the stove clearance issues placing the stove in the bump out. Many stoves require up to 5' above the stove for clearances

No bump out. tear out the gas stove and bump out frame up the wall and build a hearth in the room.

nshif said:
No bump out. tear out the gas stove and bump out frame up the wall and build a hearth in the room.

Exactly... I suspect there isn't much (if any) bumpout right now, and I don't see a big advantage to adding one in view of the way it would move the pipe outside, mess with the windows above the stove, and so forth...

One could possibly do a bumpout and an alcove install, but that would be trickier, a bunch more work and expense, and I don't think it would offer enough advantages to be worthwhile.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.