Want to wire a simple on/off switch in addition to the thermostat, with LED indicators

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sksmass

Dec 21, 2009
Western MA
Last summer I got a Quad Classic Bay installed in my basement TV room and have been enjoying it . I've come to realize that I like to turn the unit on about 20 minutes before I head down to watch TV. I'd like to wire a simple on/off switch that I'd mount upstairs (so I could just push the button from the first floor). I think I could wire this back to the same conductors as the existing pellet thermostat in the basement is wired and thus both could work individually to control the unit. Ideally I'd like the new on/off switch to have a LED indicator to indicate when it is "on" so that I have a visual reminder upstairs that that circuit is closed.

Has anyone else done this? What do I need to be concerned with in looking for a switch? Any ideas who might carry a surface mount switch, in the proper voltage, with an LED on indicator?

How about a wireless thermostat? Just leave it in the off position until you want to turn the stove on.

Interesting idea. That could work. The only downside is the expense. And it feels a bit like waste of a thermostat because I wouldn't actually be using any of its thermostat-y features.

Or get a basic wired thermostat and run the wire upstairs. Just crank it when you want it on

Spring Wound Timer. then you won't forget to turn it off...

Attachments

• timer.jpg
    timer.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: tjnamtiw
Status
Not open for further replies.