wanted gasification boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

t4driller

Jul 29, 2013
windber pa
Hi all I am looking for a good used gasification boiler. I thought that this would be a good place to check cause you all know alot about them. I have a small cape cod house with a oil furnace and cast iron registers that I would like to leave hooked up. I live in south western pa near johnstown. So if you know of one let me know thanx. And I love reading this forum you guys sure do know what you are doing

Personally I would avoid them in my opinion
and purchase a Harmon wood and coal unit IN MY OPINION.
Simply because wood will be variable in moisture content and
affect a gassers ability to burn properly.

SO you have an Ingersoll T4?

Are you drilling in water well work?

Do you use the hydraulic casing wrench to tighten well casing?

If you dont have wood ready to go now then you need to be busy processing this fall, prefferably ash but really anything except oak. That will give you a year to look around for a boiler and develope a plan of attack with heat load, storage, and all that good stuff. I was able to get a show model in the spring for 20% off. Smokeless heat and ahs shouldnt be too far from you. Check em out.

first off yes I run a t4 mostly for water and geothermal but sometimes oil and gas. for the past couple years I have been heating the house with a wood stove. it has been doing the job but most of the heat wont make it from the basement to the second floor so I have a couple edenpures running. also it needed fed every 2 or 3 hours and last year I was fortunate enough that the wife was home cause she was pregnant and she was able to take care of it for me. this year im not going to be so fortunate. so I figured if I could get a boiler I could eliminate the electric heaters and get longer burn times. I have a pretty good stack of mostly locus and there is enough still in the woods to cut to last me a long time. ahs is not to far from me and I know the one salesman and his wife is a secretary there so I do have an in. he said he might be able to get a demo model for me but that wouldn't be til after his last trade show and hes not 100% sure he could get it. im trying to find a used one cause budget is a little tight having a new baby and a 2 year old around. all of his non gasification boilers call for an 8 inch flue and I only have a 6 inch that I just put up and didn't want to have to put up a new one. I had bought a chappee Bermuda c-28 boiler off a guy for real cheap and its in good condition but after talking to the wife she would rather have something new or close to new because of the safety factor of having two little ones around and I agree. I can always resell the one I bought and can actually make a little money off it. so that is where I stand for now ant suggestions are greatly appreciated thanx

Personally I would avoid them in my opinion
and purchase a Harmon wood and coal unit IN MY OPINION.
Simply because wood will be variable in moisture content and
affect a gassers ability to burn properly.

SO you have an Ingersoll T4?

Are you drilling in water well work?

Do you use the hydraulic casing wrench to tighten well casing?

Don't want to hijack at all......but leon have you ever run a gasifier? I had a wood/coal boiler before my gasser and the gasser is hands down a much better unit. Underfire air is for coal not wood IMHO.

first off yes I run a t4 mostly for water and geothermal but sometimes oil and gas.

Can you do geo for yourself?

Check on Craigslist, thats where I found my boiler, and sold my old (3yo) boiler on CL too. I've found that when looking for something, if your not in a hurry and methodically check CL and local classifides you can usually score a great deal, but it may take a year or more.

TS

no I cannot put geo in don't have the room to drill the holes or it would of already been installed. ive been checking the web for awhile now and there has been some boilers but no gassers. most of them aren't in very good shape or are pretty old. I did purchase that chappee they said it was used for 10 years or so and its not in bad shape. I just want to do this one time the right way first so I don't waist a lot of money. does anybody have any experience or see a chappee Bermuda c-28 boiler in use?

New Horizon Corp has several overstocked units priced affordably.

the wife she would rather have something new or close to new because of the safety factor

THE first safety factor in burning wood is to burn dry wood. Gasification with storage gives another; the boiler batch burns with no idling = no creosote in the chimney.
The Garn is simple and efficient and as a boiler and storage all in one, represents a very small foot print.
If the capital outlay for gasification and storage is large, operate the c-28 for a couple seasons. It will teach you a lot!
Welcome to "Hearth". :)

Attachments

• GARN 1000 pricing July 2013 FINAL-1.pdf
    696.2 KB · Views: 409
I looked at the eko and the attack modelsand they both seem like I pretty good unit and is priced affordable. I read some reviews on here and seems like most people like them. I think I will have to give them a call. I really dont want to hook up that chappee c28 unless im sure thats the furnace im going to use for awhile. I just dont want to do this again in a year or two

Reactions: hobbyheater
I looked at the eko and the attack modelsand they both seem like I pretty good unit and is priced affordable. I read some reviews on here and seems like most people like them. I think I will have to give them a call. I really dont want to hook up that chappee c28 unless im sure thats the furnace im going to use for awhile. I just dont want to do this again in a year or two

read through the EKO sticky. i could be wrong, but i got the impression that there is a substantial learning curve with those and that you need to stay on top of air adjustments. once that is figured out then guys seem to be happy. this may be a consideration if there are periods of time that you will not be around to tend to boiler.
good on yah with the wood already, gasification needs everything dry dry dry!

read through the EKO sticky. i could be wrong, but i got the impression that there is a substantial learning curve with those and that you need to stay on top of air adjustments. once that is figured out then guys seem to be happy. this may be a consideration if there are periods of time that you will not be around to tend to boiler.
good on yah with the wood already, gasification needs everything dry dry dry!
Actually if you take into consideration the dates of those entries, they were back when many on Hearth were fairly new to gasification and much of the experimental settings tried back then are common knowledge to EKO and other gasser operators that make use of the info in the Boiler Room of Hearth.com now in 2013. Learning curve is pretty much the same on most all gassers. When newbies post their problems here, It doesn't take long for the collective knowledge of the members here to get them going in the right direction.

Reactions: mikefrommaine
Thank you for all the great info it helps alot when you can get advice from guys who have been there and done that. My next issue is storage. I understand that batch burning is the way to go but I dont have the room anywhere for a tank. I have a detached garahe with a basement under it that is dug out of a bank. That is where I keep all my wood when it it starts to get cold. Thats pretty much all the room I have. My basement is really small theres barely enough room for what's in there now. So ????

Yeah those are a few years old fred. Dare i suggest looking into a WG for a guy thats got not much space the play with? Haha
All seriousness aside, put that sucker in the basement of detached garage. Thats what i did. Check out the link in my signature. You are already storing wood out there. Keep the bit of mess out of the house. It is a more substantial project tho. All boilers are better with storage and most you can add storage later as funding permits. Some like mine cannot operate without the storage.

Thank you for all the great info it helps alot when you can get advice from guys who have been there and done that. My next issue is storage. I understand that batch burning is the way to go but I dont have the room anywhere for a tank. I have a detached garahe with a basement under it that is dug out of a bank. That is where I keep all my wood when it it starts to get cold. Thats pretty much all the room I have. My basement is really small theres barely enough room for what's in there now. So ????
Even if I had space for wood in my basement, I wouldn't store my wood in there. Every stick of wood I burn is brought in on a cart every day. Firewood is too dirty, stinky, buggy and damp for me. That space would better serve you if there was a storage tank there. It's seems to be impossible to convey to an operator of a boiler just exactly what It does for you in terms of convenience and clean fires and clean chimney and boiler. With storage you can leave the house in the AM and be assured that you will return in the evening to a warm house that doesn't smell like an old tar pit.

My next issue is storage. I understand that batch burning is the way to go but I dont have the room anywhere for a tank. I have a detached garahe with a basement under it that is dug out of a bank. That is where I keep all my wood when it it starts to get cold. Thats pretty much all the room I have. My basement is really small theres barely enough room for what's in there now. So ????
I re-read your OP. You said you currently heat with oil.........have you considered putting the oil tank outside and either using kerosene or building an enclosure around it and still using oil. Kero is really not that much more $$$ when you consider the price of oil in general, plus you won't be using much if your all set up with gasification and storage. Propane could be another option or electric, but moving the tank to the outside on a small slab and using kero would be the least cash outlay. Remember it's backup heat now.

TS

Yeah those are a few years old fred. Dare i suggest looking into a WG for a guy thats got not much space the play with? Haha
All seriousness aside, put that sucker in the basement of detached garage. Thats what i did. Check out the link in my signature. You are already storing wood out there. Keep the bit of mess out of the house. It is a more substantial project tho. All boilers are better with storage and most you can add storage later as funding permits. Some like mine cannot operate without the storage.
You made a good decision when you picked that boiler over the alternative. It's a beauty. I congratulate you on your decision. Wood gun needs storage as much as any cycling gasser regardless of the sales pitch.

so I did some looking in the basement and I think I will be able to get a 500 gallon storage in there with a little moving around. I wouldn't be able to put the boiler under the garage because I would have to move the chimney over to it and it would stick up above the roof of the garage atleast 20 feet or so to get it as high or higher than the neighbors house. I live right in town with people right on top of me and the neighbor has a 3 story monster house. I found a guy on pennswood today and he said he might have a tank that will work good for storage. how much are 500 gallon tanks anyway. I saw on the one link that repurposed propane tanks are like 800 bux that are already modified. but to buy one that isn't???

I have 2 oil tanks 275 gallon each so I can probably take one out. I have an 8 foot pool table that needs to go to that would free up a good bit of space also. so if anyone needs one it gotta go cash or trade

So I think my plan of attack is going to be to hook up that chappee boiler instead of buying a new gasser. It just isnt in the budget. I plan on getting storage though. Would 500 gallons be enough for a 1400 square foot house with cast iron register and monoflow system. And what all do I need to hook up tank

In the winter do you know how much oil you would burn in a average month . This amount of oil burned would be a way rough way of determining your daily heat loss . A start point for determining storage size .

I have no idea I only used oil for two year when we first moved in. Then I put a woodstove in. A heating contractor could do a test couldnt they. Does it have to be cold out to do the test?

Status
Not open for further replies.