Wanted: Suggestions for Indoor Wood Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really nice. Does one have to build such a box and, if so, how difficult is it for someone not used to this kind of project. I have a nice compound chop saw so I assume it wouldn't be difficult, but feel free to reassure me. :)

Chop saw, hammer, screw gun and a tape measure and you should be golden . . . mine is not going to be an heirloom piece of furniture that will be on an episode of Antique Roadshow in the year 2231 . . . but it does the job -- keeps the mess to a minimum.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
That's a nice box and a bunch of kitty's, got any more?.....

Cats? Yeah . . . I'm up to six now.

Calvin Coolidge (the orange one) died.

Still have Lucky (the black one) and Thumper (Manx mix with spina bifida).

Harry S Truman (Manx/Maine coon) came from MDI . . . Andrew Jackson (Maine coon mix) came to us after we realized Truman needed a therapy cat.

Wife brought home Dwight "Ike" Eisenhower from the shelter (no one wanted him due to an eye injury that left him partially blind with a weeping eye) . . . then we saw Franklin Delano Roosevelt (Manx mix) at another shelter and he was a spitting image of my beloved Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt who disappeared one night several years back.

Looks like a darn cat house Jake. ;lol

You should see Catcatraz II . . . we expanded to it this year. Since taking these pics I have added a couple of platforms for sleeping on . . . and a climbing pole in the middle.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    361.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 208
Chop saw, hammer, screw gun and a tape measure and you should be golden . . . mine is not going to be an heirloom piece of furniture that will be on an episode of Antique Roadshow in the year 2231 . . . but it does the job -- keeps the mess to a minimum.

It's a really nice rustic look. Do you have the planks running east-west on the top and north-south on the bottom?

Why the pen, do they run away?

I find the mess is localized to underneath the cart, which is easily swept. As compared to say, hauling (or wheeling) the wood in, placing it in the box, and then later moving the wood into the stove.

I find the mess is localized to underneath the cart, which is easily swept. As compared to say, hauling (or wheeling) the wood in, placing it in the box, and then later moving the wood into the stove.

I don't see the difference. You still have to wheel it in than carry the wood from the cart to the stove. The whole time the wood is dropping bark and dirt and saw dust. In a box it's contained, on a cart it's on your floor.

Those wheels wouldn't be adequate for my setup. Have to get up a couple of stairs. But you've given me an idea. I've seen another kind of cart. It looked a lot like a jogging stroller with really big wheels and all. It had a canvas section in which the wood could be strapped. If I could find out where to get one . . .

Search google for firewood cart.

Tried that. Couldn't find it. The friend who has one said he saw an ad in a magazine but I'll ask him to see if there's a manufacturer name embossed somewhere on the cart.

I don't think that's the best cart for my needs. The wheels are too small and I'd like something that allows the wood (including bark and shards) to be better contained. If I can get hold of the one I'm wanting, I'll post pictures.

I'm starting to wonder if I imagined the one I want. Nothing looks remotely like it. Will let you all know what I dig up.

So far, that's the closest I've found to the one I think I saw. Still waiting on my friend to check the manufacturer's name.

I'm starting to wonder if I imagined the one I want. Nothing looks remotely like it. Will let you all know what I dig up.
Give your local blacksmith some business.

find a hope chest the right size - maybe even craigslist
or hope chest plans

You really inspired me with this one. I love the look.

When looking at pictures of other things constructed with old pallets I came across this nice wood box.
upanynes.jpg

That's gorgeous. Looks like he stained the pieces different colors. You fellas are making me ambitious.

find a hope chest the right size - maybe even craigslist
or hope chest plans

It's looking more and more like I'm gonna have to build something. I was inspired by the gang here to build my hearth pad and it turned out great. Hopefully I won't lose any fingers on this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.